radio power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FORDING

Reaction score
I have a question.. I just replaced my Fac. sub with a MTX thunder form and after i hooked everything back up now i have no constant power to the kenwood head unit unless i bypass straight to the fues box i think i might have blown a fusable link but i can not find it. any sugestions????

Mrrairai

Reaction score
No you have a multi-meter to measure the power? Also when you say constant power do you mean when the vehicle is on or constant power to keep the radio settings from being wiped away when you shut off the vehicle?

OP
OP
F

FORDING

Reaction score
constant power to keep the radio settings from being wiped away when you shut off the vehicle? I don't have a multi-meter but i could get my hands on one.

Mrrairai

Reaction score
You need to find the wire that's a constant 12V and hook it up to the proper lead on your kenwood radio. When you installed the Kenwood unit did you buy one of those Ford harnesses so you can install an aftermarket unit? If so you shouldn't be having this problem. Its hard to pinpoint it without knowing exactly how everything is wired.

OP
OP
F

FORDING

Reaction score
I found that.. it was working fine before i changed the factory sub. Once i changed it thats when I had to bypass the power wire. This is why i think i blew a fusible link because there are no bad fues.

Mrrairai

Reaction score
When you installed the new sub why did you go behind the aftermarket head unit? You should have been able to just remove the old one and (with the use of a harness) install the new sub.

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Constant" Power is not determined by the key position, but is always receiving 12V (actually 11-14). As for the fuse, I only have a couple of suggestions...

1) Check under the hood, there may be an additonal fuse box.

2) Check the fuse that is connected to the constant wire that came with the radio harness. It should be a glass fuse. Some brands work without having a 12V + constant connected. It may have blown if the speaker wire hit bare metal while connecting the MTX Thunderform.

3) Take a test light or multimeter and see if the deck is actually recieving the constant power. If it is you may have some issues with your deck internals.

OP
OP
F

FORDING

Reaction score
I checked it and there is power at the fuse box and all the fuses are good but there is no power at the harness to the radio.

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is a bad connection. Test the factory harness for power where it would connect to the deck. Then test the harness that goes into the deck. I'm at a lost why it would not work after installing the thunderform though.