ram air intake idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I kinda stole this idea from bakers design but i have an idea to do it differently. what if we take the air induction tube used to feed cool air into the air box on the 90s f series trucks mount that under our bumpers and run a duct from that piece to the air box? bakers way is good but for those of us who have factory fog lights we need a different route. anyone else think this is a good or bad idea?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only way to find out if it works is to try it! I think that anything ram-air makes a difference as opposed to drawing from the fender. Now I have not looked at the bay with this in mind, but I imagine that it would take some creative thinking to feed the tube up through the engine bay and avoid hot radiator hoses, etc. while still having wide enough pipe to feel a difference, but if it can be done, it would be really cool and different.

OP
OP
Big Red Monster

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what Imma do is try to get the flexible drain pipe tubing, cut a hole into the black plastic fender skirt and run the duct right below my driver side fog light, radiator hose would be avoided, only problem i see is if the tire is going to interfere. Im going to the junkyard in the morning, gonna pull apart an expy or f150 and see what kind of space i have to work with and then i will let everyone know if im going to attempt this

OP
OP
Big Red Monster

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i actually think we have enogh space to do this seeing as the gotts mod utilizes that big hole in the fender, all we need to do is run a duct from that hole and we should be good to go

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if i wasnt in cali and i could do anything i wanted with the intake i would take the intake and bend it up and into a cowl style hood and draw from there. almost like an S shape the bottom being the TB and top the filter.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually looked into this idea of RAM intake as well. There is plenty of space to run a tube down to the lower grill/fog lights area. It might make life easier to remove that fender skirt. I was talking to my friends that are all going to school for mechanical engineering as i am and we are all into cars. We all are part of SAE Baja. RAM air is more going to help cars with turbos and superchargers. The gain would be pretty small at low speeds so the gotts mod is your best bet. High way speeds you may see an improvement in efficiency so its worth a try. I would try mounting the intake of the RAM system in one of the gaps to the left or right of the licence plate bracket. Mounting towards the black ground effect may cause it to be in a spot where the air flow is forced away from your intake due to aerodynamics of the bumper. Definitely keep us posted on this project because i am really curious to see how it works. If it does turn out to be better at high speeds but not at lower i may work on a hybrid system that can switch between RAM and Gotts with a flip of the switch plus u may not want the RAM in rainy weather. Be sure to add a water catch in your RAM tubing. This can be done by making a section of tubing dip down similar to what you would find in a sink and add a small hole at the base of the dip to let water out.

Last edited:

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Big Red: Also what are you using as an inlet for the tube or are you just leaving the intake the pipe. I am thinking of casting ABS intakes for the ducted brakes i wanna add but if you find something already made or easy to make let us know. If that RAM works i will prob make intakes inlets for those too.

OP
OP
Big Red Monster

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well as the intake duct im using the inlet to draw air to the airbox that was used on the 90s f series trucks and broncos, the duct fits perfectly, i can not mount the duct by the liscense plate due to the fact that i have an air compressor mounted behind the plate and amber lights next to the plate, so i mounted it below the driver side fog light. now the duct i used wasnt a perfect fit from the start though, I had to heat it up and bend it about 45* from its original position, also had to cut part of its original mounting tabs off. I bought some 4 inch diameter drainage tube from ace hardware and i will be using that to duct it to the intake box so i will be cutting a hole in my fender skirt. tommrrow i will be running the duct work up to the box because i have to work today unfortunately lol. ill take some pics when its all installed.

OP
OP
Big Red Monster

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
update: I decided i dont like the duct below the bumper so tommrrow my black ground effect piece meets the dremel with the mini circular saw blade, going to make a notch so it looks like it came with factory ram air