Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04ebexpy

Reaction score
I have a rattle it sounds like coming from mid or rear only on light gas between about 1200-2000. no codes doesnt seem to have any misfires. attempted to locate the noise through replication while parked and could not get the expedition to do it. seems only under load. anyone have a similar issue or seen similar?

2004 expedition eddie bauer 4.6

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4.6 is famous for clogged egr passage. It's possible its not allowing Egr to flow. That could possibly be causing it. I'd check to be sure everything's clear, and flowing. Also run codes through data port. Report back your findings.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a rattle it sounds like coming from mid or rear only on light gas between about 1200-2000. no codes doesnt seem to have any misfires. attempted to locate the noise through replication while parked and could not get the expedition to do it. seems only under load. anyone have a similar issue or seen similar?

2004 expedition eddie bauer 4.6

Its possible one of the honeycombs are loose in one of the Cats... I had a very similar problem, after a few months the honeycomb turned inside it, then I had to have it replaced.

OP
OP

04ebexpy

Reaction score
The codes are clear I ran and cleared them after new coils and plugs all it had was a cylinder 6 miss that was resolved no codes since.

I will check the EGR.

The sound only happens in drive both park and neutral I can rev the expedition repeatedly with no issue. Only in drive do I have an issue and only specifically from about 1200-2000 immediately stops outside that range.

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would start by jacking up the truck and supporting it with jackstands. Then crawling underneath the truck with a rubber mallet and start tapping on the exhaust system from the front cats towards the rear of the vehicle and see if you can replicate the rattle. Then do the same process with the chassis and underbody.

You can also take the opportunity to inspect the heatshields, suspension components and tranny mounts for any signs of wear and or looseness.

Where in Florida are you located?

OP
OP

04ebexpy

Reaction score
Pasco County. Sounds like a good plan once I have some time. I think honestly the most frustrating part and the reason I wasn't quick to blame the exhaust is the weirdness of how specific the conditions for the rattle are.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like drive train. Anytime a vibration shows up only in gear you've narrowed it to transmission, driveshaft, anything that's engaging in gear. In park, only the motor is in play. Keep in touch.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Sounds like drive train. Anytime a vibration shows up only in gear you've narrowed it to transmission, driveshaft, anything that's engaging in gear. In park, only the motor is in play. Keep in touch.

That^^

OP
OP

04ebexpy

Reaction score
That's what I figured and I was afraid of with 202k who knows. I was hoping because it was so specific someone would chime in with an answer and let me be lazy but no such luck