Really bad first post, but...windshield wiper blades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HornedFrog

Reaction score
hi all, a few weeks ago I picked up a 2017 Limited. Despite some bad luck early on, I really like it.

We’ve been getting some rain in the Dallas area, and the windshield wipers on the vehicle (they may not be OEM) are really awful. Skipping both directions even with a completely wet windshield. I looked at the aftermarket options and the Bosch icon is pretty highly reviewed, but I see mention that they don’t fit our windshield very well.

So, curious what you all are running or if the OEM blades are generally pretty good.

Thanks.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
RainX latitude, had them since i acquired my expedition 3 years ago, they're identical to the icons though a tad cheaper, I prefer the design of the latitude or icons over the metal frame wipers especially when it snows and freezes outside.

My experience with metal frame wipers were .5-1.5 years of use before a replacement is needed, this includes the "snow wipers" the ones which are metal frame but has a thin rubber sleeve over them...

Frameless wipers like the Icons & latitude's are 3-5 years on average,

You pay 40-50% more for icons up front on average but the outcome is you have to replace them 3 times less often as normally priced wipers.

Anywho anyone who swears by OEM only wipers is obviously got their head stuck where the sun never shined before.

Plati

Reaction score
I put on Rainx and other random brands (Bosch etc). Nothing seems to last a year anymore. Got 3 months a couple times. Its BS in my opinion. Why I can't buy a wiper blade that lasts at least a year is BS.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dislike the new single point blade style.

I just buy the old school METAL framed standard wiper blade.

Anco seem to last the longest but are no longer carried at Walmart any longer and have not found a local place carrying them.

Rain X is my second go to.
I swap blades every 6 months as I drive on dirt and gravel frequently and eats up blades.

No sense in spending the big bucks on them.
I buy the cheap ones and keep an extra set in the back.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put on Rainx and other random brands (Bosch etc). Nothing seems to last a year anymore. Got 3 months a couple times. Its BS in my opinion. Why I can't buy a wiper blade that lasts at least a year is BS.

Seriously, in NY too??

I'd been convinced that the sh!tty longevity of modern wipers was due to extreme temperatures sitting in the CA sun

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clean your windshield by hand really well. Like I'm talking with a microfiber towel and glass cleaner. Twice. Then go over the entire windshield with a clay bar while lubing it with your glass cleaner.

Then put on a good coating of RainX with the wipers flipped up (RainX when wet may be bad for the rubber of your wiper blades).

At this point, even old wiper blades will glide over the windshield.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Sticker, I share your frustration. Here on Long Island I'm getting three - six months out of the junk. I just installed a pair of Motorcraft blades from RockAuto. The package says USA. I don't know who makes them and they're the same price that the auto parts places charge for the Chinese ones.

We'll see if these hold out like the Trico of old days...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever winter blades have been on my truck the last almost 2 years or so are the best wipers I’ve seen in a long time, don’t know what they are but they’ve been on for a while and still no streaks or noises.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use the basic Anco blades, $8.00 retail for the pair, half that from Rock Auto. But you will pay shipping. I don't notice any difference with more expensive ones. I've used them once a year for the past 4.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Clean your windshield by hand really well. Like I'm talking with a microfiber towel and glass cleaner. Twice. Then go over the entire windshield with a clay bar while lubing it with your glass cleaner.

Then put on a good coating of RainX with the wipers flipped up (RainX when wet may be bad for the rubber of your wiper blades).

At this point, even old wiper blades will glide over the windshield.
DITTO, clean it with BON AMI and good cloth, then clay bar the crap out of it and clean again.
its the crap in the air that settles on the glass.. then get a good set of blades, i use rain x as its all wally world has to fit and driving 50 miles to the big city is just a waste. also clean the blades when you wash the car.
my drive thru car wash here does a great job at cleaning the car...but leaves a weird stuff on the windows that has to be hand washed off or the blades slip or skip