Really bad first post, but...windshield wiper blades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
Clean your windshield by hand really well. Like I'm talking with a microfiber towel and glass cleaner. Twice. Then go over the entire windshield with a clay bar while lubing it with your glass cleaner.

Then put on a good coating of RainX with the wipers flipped up (RainX when wet may be bad for the rubber of your wiper blades).

At this point, even old wiper blades will glide over the windshield.
There is some truth to this. I washed the windshield really well (no clay bar) AND the wiper blades and now they are working fine. Time will tell how long this lasts but so far so good. Interesting.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My OEM wiper blades went after about a year. When new, they did a great job. I've used the beam type but they tend to flap and bang the glass when traveling at highway speed while passing semis. I replaced them with Bosch medal frame type and they work well.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced my wipers today with 20” Bosch Snow Drivers. My initial impression on the Bosch snow drivers is meh, they seem flimsy compare to my Ancos that lasted forever. AutoZone didn’t have Anco blades.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm running Bosch Icons. I picked up several sets at $5/blade (on clearance) and love them. I don't know if I would pay the $15-20 they normally cost, but they are the best wiper I've ever used.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running Bosch Icons. I picked up several sets at $5/blade (on clearance) and love them. I don't know if I would pay the $15-20 they normally cost, but they are the best wiper I've ever used.

Do the Icons have a metal frame? These snow ones are a one piece and seem too flimsy.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is anyone out there able to find the wiper inserts to just slip on the metal arm? I haven’t seen any in like 7 years. I guess it’s a money thing, just like 50/50 antifreeze is, easy profits while using only half the product to make it.......

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The replacement inserts are getting tough to find. A few years back that was the way to go. Check rock auto or similar. I've been using Anco replacement blades with good results. Used to be $5.00 a set of 2, now jumped to $8.00. Rock Auto has them cheaper but with shipping, comes out same as picking them up retail.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do the Icons have a metal frame? These snow ones are a one piece and seem too flimsy.

I just looked up the Snow Drivers and they appear to have the same design as the Icons. FWIW, I've been running the same set of Icons for about 18 months and they've held up. They're still fully intact and clean the windows like a squeegee.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update on the Bosch Snow Drivers is I’m not super happy with them. My Ancos performed better in winter conditions and were cheaper. The Bosch is better in rain but that may just because they are new. Some of the edges on the Bosch wipers have slightly cupped and don’t make contact with the windshield. I’ll keep running them for now, they aren’t bad, just not overly good.

Last edited:

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update on the Bosch Snow Drivers is I’m not super happy with them. My Ancos performed better in winter conditions and were cheaper. The Bosch is better in rain but that may just because they are new. Some of the edges on the Bosch wipers have slightly cupped and don’t make contact with the windshield. I’ll keep running them for now, they aren’t bad, just not overly good.

I bought several sets on clearance between Q4 2016-Q1 2017 for my Expedition and my wife's car, so we're both running old stock. Maybe the newer ones have gone downhill. Or maybe the Snow Drivers look the same, but are actually different. You've kind of convinced me not to try them though.