Rear a/c leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and hoping to learn from you folks about our newly bought 2008 navigator. She has 124k miles and besides a few issues appears to be a great vehicle.

I'll break down the possible a/c leak
I test drove the car on a 94 degree super humid day. The AC was set at 60 and was blowing slightly cold but definitely not working correctly. I figured a 10 year old vehicle, it probably need evacuated and recharged.

After buying it it no longer was cold at all and just blows hot air. I noticed right by my rear passenger tire it appeared I had green coolant leaking out. I ran the heat and truck after cleaning up the small leak and no coolant ever reappeared.

After contemplating this I came to the conclusion that it was probably my refrigerant leaking out with some pag oil/green dye. This would make sense since it's no longer blowing cold. So the good news is that it seems my compressor works but I do have a leak.

Is there a condensate drain right at the rear passenger wheel? If it's leaking out of there it would be my rear evaporator leaking correct? If not, it's probably the rear ac line somewhere.

Any input is much appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry I just realized there's a dedicated ac/heat section. I'll repost over there.

(That thread has been deleted since it did not have any replies.)

Last edited by a moderator:

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Yes there is a condensate drain back there. It could be the evap but also could just be the connections from the lines to the evap. Your best bet is to remove the panels and do a visual inspection.

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you gixer2000. I'll be swapping the air ride for coil overs today so I'll get a better look at that drain. My air ride is dead so it's tough to get under there.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had to get a line replaced because the frame and line were barely touching and had rubbed a hole in the line heading to he rear unit. I think it had been that way for a long time. There was a flat spot on the line where it had finally worn through. May want to verify all those areas where it runs are properly secured.

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update:. I found the rear condensate drain and the leaking dye is not near it. The drain is right next to where the AC and coolant lines curve into the rear cabin but my leak is right next to the passenger rear suspension just above the frame rail. I assume there's a pinhole in one of the refrigerant lines right there.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good call Dennis I'll check it out. I assume the new line is super pricey?

Yeah, I could only find it from Ford and the line itself was about $300. Had to remove a bunch of stuff to route it, Exhaust manifolds, rear transmission mount, etc. Had my mechanic do it instead of tackling that one.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dennia, how much did he charge?

I don't 100% remember since I had a couple other things done while it was waiting, but somewhere around $900 I think. I was there and saw everything off. Not a fun job and took 3 days to get the part.