Rear a/c leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok I understand what you mean. Instead of going that route I found this.
https://m.autozone.com/a-c-charging...-pro-46-pag-oil-charge-with-ice-32/424620_0_0

It's 1oz of pag oil, 1oz of r134a and 1oz of some other ice additive they use. I'll blast this in and then charge the system. Looks like I need 55oz. I bought 5 12oz r134a cans. I'll do my best to only put 6oz of that last can into the system.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That is the pressurized can of PAG46 I mentioned earlier. It's the most common way to add oil.
Do it with can upside down.

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is the pressurized can of PAG46 I mentioned earlier. It's the most common way to add oil.
Do it with can upside down.
Great! Hopefully 1oz is enough. Anyway to tell if its not besides the system not working? Will the compressor be loud?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'd be better off to out 2 oz in. You will not be able to tell by operation.
A system could have way too little and still will cool fine and you won't hear any difference in compressor. Life will be shortened though and it will get hotter.
In a shorter period of time the pressure will become irregular and on a gauge you will see the needle bounce and not be steady with piston and cylinder weakness/damage.
You could put 5 oz in there and not hurt a thing...so put two for the extra 7.00.
When a high side line leaks it leaks a lot more oil out and even more if it splits suddenly than if a low side leaks. (generalization but usually the case)

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'd be better off to out 2 oz in. You will not be able to tell by operation.
A system could have way too little and still will cool fine and you won't hear any difference in compressor. Life will be shortened though and it will get hotter.
In a shorter period of time the pressure will become irregular and on a gauge you will see the needle bounce and not be steady with piston and cylinder weakness/damage.
You could put 5 oz in there and not hurt a thing...so put two for the extra 7.00.
When a high side line leaks it leaks a lot more oil out and even more if it splits suddenly than if a low side leaks. (generalization but usually the case)
Ok. I'll grab another can of it. The r134a I bought is straight refrigerant with no stop leak or any Bs. Most of the stuff I saw had stop leak in it. It said it was for the deals though so I guess it's more like high mileage oil that will swell the seals.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct. All of the AC stop leak that comes with the refrigerant is just a seal conditioner and rarely, rarely, rarely has any effect at all. It's just a rip-off and increases the price of a can of refrigerant immensely.
Be careful who you buy your 134a also. Some of the parts stores up to $15 a can in the peak summertime the last 2 years just because they could. I don't ever buy those big cans with the hose already on there. It's also a ripoff. Walmart has finally lowered their prices in this area Thanks To Rural King coming in and dropping the price to record lows for R134a.
For the past several years I can always get it for no more than 4.99 a can and often it will come on sale and the spring or summer at 3 99 per can. Walmart has finally lowered theirs to decently competitive prices though.
223 seasons ago it was 697 at Walmart and 1499 at the local 3 part stores. I have a real issue with part stores doing that and it's become a trend in the past seven or eight years or it didn't really happen that way previously.
They intentionally crank their profit margin out the roof on belated an add-on items and almost everything in their store other than hard parts. On hard parts , they are basically the exact same price as everyone else with most of them being a complete rip-off and what they should be today. Starters and alternator prices are an absolute joke.
Look at how everything else electronic has come down in price and starters alternators really haven't changed that much in technology and so many of them are many many years into the designicores so it's not like there's any scarcity of parts for the rebuit ones.
They just crank up the price because they can because it's such an expensive repair to go to a shop and get one replaced they can sell you the part for $129 and you put it on yourself and you think you're getting an overall good deal on the repair.
There are no great deals on starters and alternators from China because I guess shipping with the weight. If you apply the normal logic and what has happened to almost everything else in our economy to alternators and starters, we should be getting a standard alternator starter for let's say a 97 to 2005 Ford for under 40 bucks shipped to our door off eBay.
Whereas other things like brake pads and especially tie rods and sway bar links and lots of those items we get dirt cheap and even some of the parts stores house brands have come way down. I bought an upper ball joint for I think 8.95 at a O'Reilly Auto Parts a while back with a lifetime warranty. I probably could have ordered it and had it shipped to my door for 6.95 - 7.95 but it was still a great deal for the part.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Don't buy anything with stop leak! If the system ever gets opened for repair again the stop leak starts to harden up once the system is open to the atmosphere. Its known for blocking expansion valves, condenser coils and even microchannel evap coils.

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought the supertech r134a 12oz cans for $4.88 each. No other additives in the cans. I'm not a fan of stop leaks and usually not high mileage oils etc. Although I am switching from Pennzoil platinum full synthetic 5w30 to their high mileage version of the same oil in the navigator since I have a leaking valve cover on the passenger side and the front cover has leak. Both are very slow leaks. I only add maybe 1/2quart probably less between my 5k mile oil changes.

OP
OP

08navigator

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get a bottle of pag46 instead of another pressurized can since ill need some to rub on the seals and on the new compression fittings gaskets. I'll grab some with dye in it.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get a bottle of pag46 instead of another pressurized can since ill need some to rub on the seals and on the new compression fittings gaskets. I'll grab some with dye in it.

I wouldn't use the dye one. The bottle that is totally clear PAG46 is what I use.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't buy anything with stop leak! If the system ever gets opened for repair again the stop leak starts to harden up once the system is open to the atmosphere. Its known for blocking expansion valves, condenser coils and even microchannel evap coils.

The seal conditioner ones don't do this and won't hurt anything and in almost every instance don't do anything for leaks either so I agree don't use them , but they won't cause problems.
NOW, the expensive stop leaks that talk about sealing holes in evaps and stuff like that WILL CLOG UP EVERYTHING!
DO NOT USE! Most have a rubbery crap that will plug orifice tubes and expansion valves.

EXCEPTION is Red Angel stop leak. Comes in pressurized can with clear tube that kinda sucks and a 2 oz bottle of red liquid. 34.99 each.
It WORKS! Will not clog anything up either. Its more of an oil lubricant but it will slow down almost all but big bag (wolf- had to) leaks.

I have had it only not work..in 1-2 vehicles. Have had EXCELLENT results a lot more times.
Makes a two week leak a 3 month leak and a seasonal charge leak go totally away.