Rear brake pads and rotors junk at 25K miles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Went in for a oil change and tire rotation today. The rear pads were worn to the backing plate. The rotors were rusty and pitted. Tech says "you must live close to the ocean" that is the problem. He was right I do live about 75 yards from the ocean. But it is run through the car wash every other day to clean underneath. Told him I never read any notice that said this Expedition cannot be near the beach without suffering premature brake and rotor wear. What BS! My other cars have been just fine, only ford seems to have this problem. No it is not driven on the beach.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Went in for a oil change and tire rotation today. The rear pads were worn to the backing plate. The rotors were rusty and pitted. Tech says "you must live close to the ocean" that is the problem. He was right I do live about 75 yards from the ocean. But it is run through the car wash every other day to clean underneath. Told him I never read any notice that said this Expedition cannot be near the beach without suffering premature brake and rotor wear. What BS! My other cars have been just fine, only ford seems to have this problem. No it is not driven on the beach.
Time to get the frame/under body coated for rust prevention id say.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got 50,000 out of my rears. 80% local kid hauling 20% highway and sierras with little bit of 4x6 trailer dragging. Fronts are looking like they’re good for 70-80k at this point. All are smooth but I don’t stand on them at stops as if holding earth in orbit. Grew up driving big trucks and dragging trailers I don’t generally drag brakes cooking them either. I’ve found them to be pretty good. Having said that its a heavy vehicle I have family members that could easily wipe out the brakes on anything after a month of driving it. I’m near the Pacific no issues

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get the rusty rotor portion. But how could salt and water vapor wear brake pads prematurely?

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear brake pads on these are known to wear quickly. They have a lot less material than the aftermarket pads. The rotors are probably junk from the metal to metal contact of being worn to the backing plate.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once the metal backing plate hits the rotor, the rotor goes to crap really fast. Doesn't take long to really mess it up.

The rear pads wearing fast has been a "thing" on every vehicle I have owned since 2007. That is when I first started noticing it. However, it also has been my experience the stock rear pads on all the new vehicles I have had were an organic pad that wears "quickly", replacing the pads with a ceramic or semi-metallic seems to have much better life and they wear at a more reasonable rate. Nothing wrong with organic pads but they do wear quicker than other mixes. There are Pos/Neg to each mix style.

I can't see being near the coast necessarily causing premature wear. I can see being near the coast causing rust issues. Maybe in my head, I can see if rotors are getting really rusty between drives that then the pads are doing some extra work to clean the surface off every time?

Either way, checking brake pads is a maintenance item. Every time I rotate my tires, which I do myself, I check the pads and watch for wear. If you have the tire store rotate, you can also ask them to give the brakes a check. Pretty much everyone recommends a 5000-7500 mile rotation, so that works pretty well for keeping track of pad wear.

OP
OP
F

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's the update. According to the service manager who is a hell of a wrench, the wear is due to the rotors rusting and pitting, which tears the heck out of the pads which are not all that beefy. The rusting is caused by the salt air which is brutal. He say's that he see's the rotor rust all the time on vehicles that are beach side. I really cant dispute that as a home air conditioner condenser is junk at around 6 years due to salt air. Having said that other brands of trucks have not had this problem. Guess it's more of the price of living near the ocean.

ccssid

Reaction score
fwiw: my 2021 cpo limited with 16,000 miles had new rear pads and rotors installed prior to my purchase. this was/is a Michigan car. Dealer told me rotors were very rusty and pitted. I had :

installed immediately after purchasing the vehicle.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dunno why, But my rear produce more dust than thr fronts by alot