Rear glass, won't pop open.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tshannon76

Reaction score
I just bought a honey of an Expy, an 02 Eddie Bauer with a VERIFIED 35,000 miles on it, she's basically brand new. But, it is 11 years old. I have found only three problems, only interior fit and finish things, mechanically this truck is new. I was hoping someone might be able to help.

1) My rear hatch glass won't pop open, lift gate is fine, shocks and all, but the glass won't open. A solenoid perhaps? Where is it?
2) Cupholder on the dash won't pop out, there's no resistance, I am guessing there is a spring in there?
3) Moon Roof works fine, but the shade makes noise like I have dropped a sheet of steel on a sidewalk. Is there an easy way to get in there and take a look? Drop the headliner? Any thoughts?

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as the rear window, its the cable from the latch to the handle 90% of the time. Ford sell them for Luke $60 but I just fixed mine with a zip. When I get home I'll pop the plastic off the back door and upload a picture. As far as the other two things some one will chim in with a better response then I would give.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The sunroof issue might be a loose piece that has come loose and fell off inside the roof. Does your sunshade open with the glass when you hit the button or can u keep the sunshade closed while the roof is open? The part that comes loose is a water tray that is under the back seam and also prevents the sun shade from being closed while the sun roof is open. This part is not very important so you can remove it, i can post a pic of it if you want.

OP
OP
T

tshannon76

Reaction score
Thanks to you both, pics would be great! The sunroof shade does open with the roof, goes all the way back as it should, but when the roof closes it does not come forward the 2 inches or so that it should so you can grab it. I am new to this board and an Expedition, thanks so much for your help!
TJ

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the area you need to look for the cable. Check both ends of cable, if either end is broken then the zip tie should work. What I did was used one zip tie VERY tight to hold the cable still. That will allow the metal braid to move freely while holding the plastic outer cable still.

Same concept works with the actual rear hatch as well.

Hope this helps!!

paint_11211122347_zpsfad18bdd.jpg

paint_112111223451_zps644af1c5.jpg

oregonn8v

Reaction score
Glass catch lift gate won't open on my 2000 Expy EB

Having the same problem on my 2000 Expedition. Rear lift gate opens/closes and locks/unlocks just fine. The glass portion of the lift gate will not latch. The catch or hook that secures the glass does not close when the locks are actuated. My guess is the cable is broken and needs to be fixed/replaces.

I will try the zip tie option and let everyone know how if works out.

Eric

B

bedrck46

There is a spring that goes on the back of cup holder had that problem with my 01 found a replacement at a you pull it yard I'll see if I can find the post and send you the link with the pictures Best way to replace the spring is to put screws in