Rear springs...Overload, leveling, etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buck Nasty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey gang. I'm thinking about getting a rear hitch motorcycle carrier for my Ex. With the carrier, my motorcycle and gear...we're talking an extra 500lb on the rear of this thing. As it is, she already sits a little low in the rear.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a stiffer spring or maybe a rear leveling kit to compensate for extra sag?

'98 XLT....Coil springs.

Thanks in advance!

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why does it sit low in the rear?

I wouldn't think that just having a bike carrier would sag it very much at all.

wrangler45337

Reaction score
Your best bet is to buy some good rear shocks or air adjustable shocks. I know there are alot of companies like Fabtech that make a coil spring for them, but then you will be raising it 4-6 inches in the rear only. You may be able to find some spring spacers to put under the coils to give you just alittle more lift, but not sure if anyone makes one that is specific to the Expy's. It sounds to me like your rear shocks are old since you said the back is sagging already. Bilstein makes some Heavy Duty Rear Monotube Shocks for the '98 2 or 4 wheel drive. They aren't air adjustable but I have used them before and love them. They are more than able to handle the 500+ lbs you are looking at hauling. I know Summit Racing sells them for $69.95 a piece. Hope this will help you out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Buck Nasty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by wrangler45337
Your best bet is to buy some good air adjustable shocks. I know there are alot of companies like Fabtech that make a coil spring for them, but then you will be raising it 4-6 inches in the rear only. You may be able to find some spring sapcers to put under the coils to give you just alittle more lift, but not sure if anyone makes one that is specific to the Expy's. It sounds to me like your rear shocks are old since you said the back is sagging already. Bilstein makes some Heavy Duty Rear Monotube Shocks for the '98 2 or 4 wheel drive. They should be able to handle 500+ lbs. you are looking at hauling.I know Summit Racing sells them for $69.95 a piece. Hope this will help you out.

Thanks for the tip Wrangler. I'm sure she's due for new shocks anyway. I was hoping to find either a small spacer or a stronger spring.

GRIP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well if it is saging in the rear the spring need to be changed not just the shocks. the shocks don't hold up the truck the spring do.if you just change the stocks you will blow them out in a couple of thousand miles. change the spring and shocks.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine sags in the back because of regular heavy loading. I put airlift bags in the rear. Cost 70 bucks and work well. Super smooth when loaded and pressurized right.

OP
OP
B

Buck Nasty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by AvroAero
Mine sags in the back because of regular heavy loading. I put airlift bags in the rear. Cost 70 bucks and work well. Super smooth when loaded and pressurized right.

Avro...Where did you get the bags and did you install yourself? Easy?

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jcwhitney. Installed myself. Kind of easy, the bags are a bit stiff to ram into the coils. The first one I pull the coil out and stuck it in easy but the other side had a vacume line on the axle I didn't want to stretch so I just rammed it in there.

Won't raise the height though because the bags are short, which kind of sucked because I was looking for a bit of a raise. I could jack the pressure but it becomes pretty damn hard unloaded. Really helps with body roll to, especially if you jack the pressure.

huklebuk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the air bags in the springs as well. Makes a huge difference when I tow my boat. I put the onboard air compresser and gauge in mine so I can control it from the drivers seat. Took me most of the day but it wasn't hard, just tedious. I think they work great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett