Rear Sway bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's the inside diameter of the bushing, coming in contact with the bar itself. The trouble is, it's not sealed, so dirt/water will get in there, and wear the grease down. I use a very good mechanical grease that's waterproof from Mobil1 and it still goes bad ever few months. Zercs halp a lot by pushing the dirt back out.

No experience here, just research:

Silicone lubricant with PTFE (believe that is a teflon additive) was recommended. Suggestion was lubricant from the same manufacturer MIGHT be better for the polyurethane bushing. In the case of Energy that would be Energy Suspension Formula 5. I just picked up 8oz from the local Summit Racing store today. (First time in, pretty cool store.) Other product names listed that had been tested by various pressure sprays were Prothane and Super Pro.

Believe I will try the teflon tape, can't see a downside. If anyone else sees a downside please give a holler.

Last edited:

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's the inside diameter of the bushing, coming in contact with the bar itself. The trouble is, it's not sealed, so dirt/water will get in there, and wear the grease down. I use a very good mechanical grease that's waterproof from Mobil1 and it still goes bad ever few months. Zercs halp a lot by pushing the dirt back out.

Double post

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No experience here, just research:

Silicone lubricant with PTFE (believe that is a teflon additive) was recommended. Suggestion was lubricant from the same manufacturer MIGHT be better for the polyurethane bushing. In the case of Energy that would be Energy Suspension Formula 5. I just picked up 8oz from the local Summit Racing store today. (First time in, pretty cool store.) Other product names listed that had been tested by various pressure sprays were Prothane and Super Pro.

Believe I will try the teflon tape, can't see a downside. If anyone else sees a downside please give a holler.

But I believe you're talking about the end links. The bar mount bushings are from Stillen and I used the lubricant they shipped with, but it wore off pretty fast. I did try some silicon lubricant as well, no better.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But I believe you're talking about the end links. The bar mount bushings are from Stillen and I used the lubricant they shipped with, but it wore off pretty fast. I did try some silicon lubricant as well, no better.

Yes, end links are the discussion. I'll play around a little when I install but agree the teflon tape doesn't lend itself as well to the end links as it did with the control arms in the video. Sorry to hear the silicon didn't work any better, was hoping it would.

Last edited:

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had good luck with Prothane grease years ago and I remember a Mobile 1 bearing grease that was really good.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had good luck with Prothane grease years ago and I remember a Mobile 1 bearing grease that was really good.

That's the one. I've used this grease on everything from engine mounts to jack hammer pistons. Stuff is great. Water doesn't bug it but dirt is it's worst enemy.

Chio4

Reaction score
FYI Front bars..

I have been chasing A noise and feeling that would occur at snow speeds over little bumps or manhole covers. I could feel it right at my feet when driving. well I looked at my bushings on the front bar and saw what was or could be movement on the bar. I decided to replace them and well SH*T that totally solved it. The Expedition feel like it did when I installed it 5k ago.

just thought I would pass this along. also I installed the hellwig ones that were sent to me when I replaced the rears for excessive noise.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI Front bars..

I have been chasing A noise and feeling that would occur at snow speeds over little bumps or manhole covers. I could feel it right at my feet when driving. well I looked at my bushings on the front bar and saw what was or could be movement on the bar. I decided to replace them and well SH*T that totally solved it. The Expedition feel like it did when I installed it 5k ago.

just thought I would pass this along. also I installed the hellwig ones that were sent to me when I replaced the rears for excessive noise.
Not sure I understand. You replaced the hellwig bushings? With what. More hellwig?

Chio4

Reaction score
Not sure I understand. You replaced the hellwig bushings? With what. More hellwig?

yes I had an extra set of Hellwig bushings sent to me months ago. I wish I knew if someone had A better aftermarket bushing