Rear wiper/fluid sometimes does not work - simple fix (at least temporarily)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello all,

2003 EB, 5.4 2wd, about 153K miles.

My rear wiper, rear hatch window fluid function seems to come and go. It'll work one week then go out for a while, then come back.

I was trying to search for the right posts to see if this question was asked (I'm sure it has been) but did not come up with a hit.

It does not seem like a fuse issue if it comes and goes. Any help would be appreciated. I really do not know where to start.

No snow really in SE Texas, but am using the hatch window defrost function to clear the rear window out to improve visibility. At least that works.

Thanks

PS, I have to leave for the ER likely for a couple of days in a few hours, but I'll try to check on replies from there on my smartphone - I'm not 'ghosting' after a post...

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you think the fluid might be freezing when not working & then thawing when it is working? Hose feeding rear may have crud in it and needs to be disconnected and shoot some air thru it?
Hopefully not a problem with the multi-function switch.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the washer relay is in the wiper motor circuit board on the wiper motor itself. So if both functions are failing I'd be looking at a bad or failing rear wiper motor. There is only the one pump there at the fluid tank itself and the pump is controlled by either washer relay at either end of the vehicle. The relays are built into the wiper motor circuit boards. Does the front washer work fine all the time ?

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I neglected to focus on the rear wiper not working and not the fluid necessarily. It rarely freezes here. When the rear wiper works the fluid works. Otherwise it's been non-op for a week.

I'm looking for my manual, any heads up on where to start?

Yes the front wipers and washer work all the time, have never failed.

Thanks

Edit, I'm looking at the rear motor now on Amazon for about $65. Really small DC motor. I'l be interested to take that small motor out, inspect the windings (I sort of know how to rewind a DC and AC motor), but also look at the bearings. If the windings are good, bearings bad - I think It's worth a shot, but I'll wait a while. I'm really in no rush.

Possibly just take a chance on a salvage yard rear wiper motor. They do gave money back guarantee.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sooo,

I recall a 'flat spot' on a car's starter from many years ago (drop in voltage I believe), so I spent all of three minutes to pop the two plastic Philips screws out pushed the cover out of the way of the wiper motor and knocked on the motor a few times with a socket head. Voila. Motor now works, wiper moving, fluid flowing....

Not a permanent fix, but it works for now. Just a quick fix.

Just wanted to share. Let's see how long that lasts. We'll see.

Dick