Rebuild Top End or New Engine 183,000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's something you have to make a decision on based on the shape it's in, how much can do yourself, etc etc and even then like with most things; there are no guarantees.

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sitting at 178000 miles. Got the cam phasers ticking and might as well do the chain and all belts. If I keep it. Just bought a 32ft motorhome

OP
OP
brcknrdg Rob

brcknrdg Rob

Reaction score
Duh... didn't see tat..

Economics, my friend. That motor's probably good for about 230K miles if taken care of. It can last longer or the tranny can blow up next week. Is it worth tearing it down and investing $2,000 in parts for another 50K miles, if you are lucky?

Or is the truck in clean enough shape to warrant spending maybe $5,000 on a new motor?

Can you do the work or get someone to do it at a fair price?

You have to evaluate the whole picture, your finances and your long term plans...
I guess you didnt see the part about the Nagivator wanting to keep it for sentimental reasons.

I have shown her the list of things and she is intent on keeping it. Im trying to talk her into an excursion with a 6.0. Private party listings are between 7 and $10,000 while kelly bluebook trade in was like $2500. I have to much of a conscience to try selling it like this for full price. I can put some money into it and make it good for another year since the bones are good. I think in the end if I were to put an engine in it may be worth more for resale in a couple of years. The bones are good and we like it so we may end up stuck with it and I can get the excursion once I turn the 00' into a 4 door bronco....I think we are going to replace the engine,

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess you didnt see the part about the Nagivator wanting to keep it for sentimental reasons.

I have shown her the list of things and she is intent on keeping it. Im trying to talk her into an excursion with a 6.0. Private party listings are between 7 and $10,000 while kelly bluebook trade in was like $2500. I have to much of a conscience to try selling it like this for full price. I can put some money into it and make it good for another year since the bones are good. I think in the end if I were to put an engine in it may be worth more for resale in a couple of years. The bones are good and we like it so we may end up stuck with it and I can get the excursion once I turn the 00' into a 4 door bronco....I think we are going to replace the engine,
Sentimental can bite you in the butt.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Having owned a 6.0, avoid the 6.0. I could have bought my truck (used purchase price) for cash with the money I dumped into engine rebuilds on the 6.0. Yes, plural, in only 245k miles.

Having done all the upgrades and enhancements for reliability, there is no such thing as a "bulletproof" 6.0. A diesel that requires major work every 100k miles is absurd. The power is phenomenal when it's running right but it's rarely in that state for long and it's a bear to work on.

Just fair warning -- moving from the 6.0 to the Expedition was the best financial decision I've made in ages.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d do the timing job and drive on, parts are cheap if you do it yourself. Tasca Ford or Amazon. If you aren’t looking to do the work yourself it may be better to do a new crate engine or new truck because shop rates are high for this job. Granted some shops are fair but you have to find the right one.

One 6.0 will cost you more than 2 rebuilds on your 5.4 lol. RUN!

It sounds like you guys neglected the engine for a while now. In that case I’d base my decision on inspection underneath the passenger valve cover. Check the cam towers and caps for any deep or excessive scoring. If it’s in good shape and sludge free go for the timing job. If it’s sludged and scored button back up and order an engine. Or a truck. That call can only be made by seeing inside the passenger head which is last on the oil feed.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Whelp! the CPPS has become prevelant on our 09' what used to be a bucket of bolts in a washing machine when letting off the juice while backing up an incline is now happening while pulling into my driveway. I had the oil changed last week and noticed they OF'd it and am going to see if having proper oil level has anyhting to do with it. I have tried to talk the nagivator into a new vehicle to no avail since we have had so many memorable adventures in this one. We are now contemplating whether to redo the top end components and suspension/steering refreshening or a complete crate motor swap now and suspension later. Can you guys weigh in on which one is more ideal? Which is better unmating the drivetrain or rocket surgery. How far should we go if its the latter?
I don't get your lingo, leave out the cute BS and ask the question