Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRQ Bill

Reaction score
Looking to replace the stock cd/radio in my 2003 EXT with something a bit more up to date. I use iPhones/iPads, no android stuff. I'd prefer the ability to watch DVDs, play CDs (Yes, I still have a few), bluetooth at least one iPhone (Prefer two), and add a back up camera. Navigation would be great but I can use the iPhone if necessary. Not sure what else I may be missing. It is a double din. Since it is a 2003, please keep budget in mind with recommendations. If someone has a used one that meets these requirements, let me know! Thanks everyone!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crutchfield.com

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then go on offerup... letgo... Ebay... Amazon to find cheaper...u will need a harness and if u want to keep steering wheel control you'll need that adapter too... all easy to install

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the Kenwood DDS 9705S. Does so much. Fit right in my 2004 EB. Crutchfield got me the correct patch cabling to plug right in. Was on sale then (maybe discontinued model) & paid around $475 for everything in 2018.

Plati

Reaction score
Looking to replace the stock cd/radio in my 2003 EXT with something a bit more up to date. I use iPhones/iPads, no android stuff. I'd prefer the ability to watch DVDs, play CDs (Yes, I still have a few), bluetooth at least one iPhone (Prefer two), and add a back up camera. Navigation would be great but I can use the iPhone if necessary. Not sure what else I may be missing. It is a double din. Since it is a 2003, please keep budget in mind with recommendations. If someone has a used one that meets these requirements, let me know! Thanks everyone!
don't blame you at all
my 2003XLT "sound system" is a total joke compared to my 2014

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anything with android auto/Carplay will do nicely and help bring the audio tech closer to modern times. Voice control, nav from your phone...displayed on the radio, reading if messages, audio books etc.

The pioneer NEX 1550, 2550, 4500 and 6700/7600 are all great units. Large price range with those, big guy is close to 1k. I've had a 4500 in my 03 for just over a year, easily the best addition to any vehicle I've ever had. Unless you need a lot of connectivity or want a detachable face its likely overkill. I wanted both of those is why I went that route.

The Kenwood DDX/DMX 77xx/97xx series are solid units as well, quite a few models in those ranges to choose from. DMX line is digital media and AM/FM only so no cd/DVD option. Those tend to be less pricey so it does give you options if you can make a sacrifice on the cd.

Sound quality wise even a simple upgrade of speakers and a modest amp, 40-50w/channel will make a world of difference. People are always surprised when they hop in for the first time. My amp being so small its inside the dash cavity behind the HVAC controls really throws them off.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything with android auto/Carplay will do nicely and help bring the audio tech closer to modern times. Voice control, nav from your phone...displayed on the radio, reading if messages, audio books etc.

The pioneer NEX 1550, 2550, 4500 and 6700/7600 are all great units. Large price range with those, big guy is close to 1k. I've had a 4500 in my 03 for just over a year, easily the best addition to any vehicle I've ever had. Unless you need a lot of connectivity or want a detachable face its likely overkill. I wanted both of those is why I went that route.

The Kenwood DDX/DMX 77xx/97xx series are solid units as well, quite a few models in those ranges to choose from. DMX line is digital media and AM/FM only so no cd/DVD option. Those tend to be less pricey so it does give you options if you can make a sacrifice on the cd.

Sound quality wise even a simple upgrade of speakers and a modest amp, 40-50w/channel will make a world of difference. People are always surprised when they hop in for the first time. My amp being so small its inside the dash cavity behind the HVAC controls really throws them off.
Go to Crutchfield and it will show u everything on the market today...i paid $2K for my pioneer 8200NEX... there's some for $500 and less... budget on u and can compare on the site