Regular WB vs. EL/MAX for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Our current Expy does have the HD Tow Package, but I think it's got 3.31 gears (2wd as well). It's barely turning RPMs at 80 MPH on the highway.

Curious what does yours run at 65 mph with 3.31? They are supposed to be a good cruising gear. My tach sits @1,700 rpm in 6th gear with the 3.73 ratio at 65, at 75 mph it runs an even 2,000 rpm.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Twelve percent difference in gearing so twelve percent difference in RPM.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious what does yours run at 65 mph with 3.31? They are supposed to be a good cruising gear. My tach sits @1,700 rpm in 6th gear with the 3.73 ratio at 65, at 75 mph it runs an even 2,000 rpm.
This is why I’d definitely recommend 3.73’s for towing. Remember max torque on these gen. 1 EcoBoost’s is at 2,500 rpm’s. The closer you are to the engines sweet spot in the power band during cruise,the better the power and fuel economy. Work smarter not harder theory.

wingrider

Reaction score
..... Many of these vehicles are used in rental fleets and there are many low mileage ones on the market. The depreciation on these vehicles is horrendous, which works in favor of the 2nd owner.

Most rental fleets don't offer SUVs that they ordered with tow packages. They are sourced to be body movers, so watch out when hunting there...

Scott Hunter

Reaction score
Make sure you get the 3.73 axle ratio. I tow a 33' trailer and did so with a 2004 Expy. With 210,000 miles on it, I decided to get a new one. The EL/Max models are rated at about 200 - 300 lbs less for towing. My trailer weighs 8500 loaded, so decided against the EL. I use an Equalizer WD hitch and have never had a problem with sway. Finding a truck with the 3.73 axle and HD Tow pkg was not easy. There were only 6 in California. Most of the new models are 3.31 axles, which drop the tow rating to a ridiculous 6,000 lbs or something. I am not happy that they dropped the gas tank from 28 gals in 2004 to 23 gals in the new 2019. After market expanded gas tanks just aren't available on the market.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most rental fleets don't offer SUVs that they ordered with tow packages. They are sourced to be body movers, so watch out when hunting there...

I think most of the 2017 Limited models all came with HD Tow. When I was shopping for an Expedition EL at Carmax, nearly every vehicle I looked at had it. Interestingly, it's a 4x2 so it's 3.31 gearing instead of 3.73. But it tows my 7K trailer with no problem. Never had an issue with acceleration or keeping up with traffic. Most of the time it's in 6th gear and even passing isn't an issue. And since I don't tow that often, I get the added benefit of slightly improved MPG when not towing.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most of the 2017 Limited models all came with HD Tow. When I was shopping for an Expedition EL at Carmax, nearly every vehicle I looked at had it. Interestingly, it's a 4x2 so it's 3.31 gearing instead of 3.73. But it tows my 7K trailer with no problem. Never had an issue with acceleration or keeping up with traffic. Most of the time it's in 6th gear and even passing isn't an issue. And since I don't tow that often, I get the added benefit of slightly improved MPG when not towing.

All Limited models are HD tow unless it was deleted. It was only not standard on XLT trim.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All Limited models are HD tow unless it was deleted. It was only not standard on XLT trim.

Whelp, that would explain why finding a fleet w/ HD tow was easy. They were all Limiteds when I was searching. Should make the choice easier for anyone else.

OP
OP
L

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Sorry, late to respond!! I don’t drive the truck much, it’s my wife’s.

65 is about dead nuts 1500rpm. She is a highway beast, I run in the high 70s pretty often and it just eats up the miles.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Careful with assuming options on fleet units. Fleet buyers can get custom builds unavailable to retail buyers. For example, there are a lot of rental F-150s that do NOT have a receiver, which is standing on all retail F-150s.