Replaced pads and rotors, brake pedal sinking to floor now?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JT STANGA

Reaction score
I have ran into a similar problem and I can only assumed it is the HCU as I had read elsewhere a guy pulled the fuse from the ABS(10 amp in position 52) and the problem went away. I pulled the fuse and no more pedal sinking to the floor/heart attacks wondering if I'm going to stop or not. The dash however is lit up like Clark Griswolds house. I'll update if resolution is found with replacing the HCU.

OP
OP
U

UniqueTII

Reaction score
I have ran into a similar problem and I can only assumed it is the HCU as I had read elsewhere a guy pulled the fuse from the ABS(10 amp in position 52) and the problem went away. I pulled the fuse and no more pedal sinking to the floor/heart attacks wondering if I'm going to stop or not. The dash however is lit up like Clark Griswolds house. I'll update if resolution is found with replacing the HCU.

I'm still suspecting the HCU as well (since I replaced it with a used one). I should've tried the fuse! It's in the shop today so hopefully I'll have some resolution soon.

OP
OP
U

UniqueTII

Reaction score
Here's the latest update, or lack thereof:
I brought the truck to the Ford dealer last week for service and they diagnosed the issue as a bad master cylinder (which was replaced with a used part already due to a lack of new inventory anywhere). I told them everything I had already done to the brakes and they said they'd look into it further before replacing any parts. They were closed Monday so they called me on Tuesday and said that the diagnosis hadn't changed, so on Wednesday they replaced the MC. They called me and said that the brakes were "great", so I went to pick the truck up on Thursday.

After settling the bill, I went to leave and never even shifted the truck into gear. As soon as I started it and pressed the pedal, it immediately sunk to the floor. I tried pumping it up a few times but it would still sink. I went back in to speak to my service advisor and he grabbed the shop foreman who confirmed the issue. His next thought was the HCU, which I informed him was also replaced with a used (55k mile) unit. The MC change and what to do about the unnecessary service is on the back burner for now.

I brought my original MC and HCU to the dealership last night and today they swapped out the HCU and rebled the brakes. The foreman said that he was sometimes able to free up a stuck HCU valve by striking the valve block with a brass punch or by triggering an ABS event. He was out today but the techs attempted these approaches but the problem remains. The foreman will be back on Tuesday so I'm back to waiting until then. Thanks for tuning in. :)

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I brought the truck to the Ford dealer last week for service and they diagnosed the issue as a bad master cylinder (which was replaced with a used part already due to a lack of new inventory anywhere). I told them everything I had already done to the brakes and they said they'd look into it further before replacing any parts. They were closed Monday so they called me on Tuesday and said that the diagnosis hadn't changed, so on Wednesday they replaced the MC. They called me and said that the brakes were "great", so I went to pick the truck up on Thursday.

After settling the bill, I went to leave and never even shifted the truck into gear. As soon as I started it and pressed the pedal, it immediately sunk to the floor. I tried pumping it up a few times but it would still sink. I went back in to speak to my service advisor and he grabbed the shop foreman who confirmed the issue. His next thought was the HCU, which I informed him was also replaced with a used (55k mile) unit. The MC change and what to do about the unnecessary service is on the back burner for now.

I brought my original MC and HCU to the dealership last night and today they swapped out the HCU and rebled the brakes. The foreman said that he was sometimes able to free up a stuck HCU valve by striking the valve block with a brass punch or by triggering an ABS event. He was out today but the techs attempted these approaches but the problem remains. The foreman will be back on Tuesday so I'm back to waiting until then. Thanks for tuning in. :)

I had a sticking valve on a pickup that would activate the ABS trouble light. I carried a ball pien hammer in the truck and gave it a wack every time it lit up for a few months, has been good for a few years never lit up yet. And replaced all the brake fluid and flushed system.

OP
OP
U

UniqueTII

Reaction score
I had a sticking valve on a pickup that would activate the ABS trouble light. I carried a ball pien hammer in the truck and gave it a wack every time it lite up for a few months, has been good for a few years never lite up yet. And replaced all the brake fluid and flushed system.

I was really hoping that some percussive maintenance would resolve it! Maybe once the foreman gets back he can smack it in the right spot.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score

When you said they replaced the master cylinder after you did I knew they screwed that up. I wouldn't pay for anything they did that didn't fix it. What a sinking feeling............

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

UniqueTII

Reaction score
When you said they replaced the master cylinder after you you I knew they screwed that up. I wouldn't pay for anything they did that didn't fix it. What a sinking feeling............

Yep, it definitely didn't feel like the right path and I didn't get my hopes up when they told me it was fixed.

OP
OP
U

UniqueTII

Reaction score
Whelp, here's the latest update. The dealership put the original ABS module back on the truck but used the electrical side from the used replacement since the original one was cracked at the plug. Anyway, they told me that the truck was fixed and that they had several people check the brake pedal pressure and it was "great".

I went to pick it up and my immediate impression was that nothing had changed. I could still get the pedal to drop all the way to the floor with firm, consistent pressure. They convinced me to take it for a drive and it behaved fine (stopping wasn't really the issue before, either) but I did notice some inconsistent engagement and some sinking at long red lights. I agreed to take the truck home to drive it for a while and report back.

Anybody want to do some science for me? See how far you can get your brake pedal to drop with moderate to firm pressure over time. My wife's Odyssey will go to the floor but it needs front brakes anyway. My WRX STI is rock solid with any amount of pressure.

Plati

Reaction score
Whelp, here's the latest update. The dealership put the original ABS module back on the truck but used the electrical side from the used replacement since the original one was cracked at the plug. Anyway, they told me that the truck was fixed and that they had several people check the brake pedal pressure and it was "great".

I went to pick it up and my immediate impression was that nothing had changed. I could still get the pedal to drop all the way to the floor with firm, consistent pressure. They convinced me to take it for a drive and it behaved fine (stopping wasn't really the issue before, either) but I did notice some inconsistent engagement and some sinking at long red lights. I agreed to take the truck home to drive it for a while and report back.

Anybody want to do some science for me? See how far you can get your brake pedal to drop with moderate to firm pressure over time. My wife's Odyssey will go to the floor but it needs front brakes anyway. My WRX STI is rock solid with any amount of pressure.
2003XLT. started it up, gave it a minute for idle to drop to ~900. step on brake / firm pressure. it goes about 2/3 of way to floor and holds for a few seconds then **** drops all the way to floor. release & press again ... goes all the way to the floor

curious about your statement "stopping wasn't really the issue before, either" and my experience with my brake pedal and wonder if your chasing a non existent problem