Replaced pads and rotors, brake pedal sinking to floor now?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
U

UniqueTII

Reaction score
2003XLT. started it up, gave it a minute for idle to drop to ~900. step on brake / firm pressure. it goes about 2/3 of way to floor and holds for a few seconds then **** drops all the way to floor. release & press again ... goes all the way to the floor

curious about your statement "stopping wasn't really the issue before, either" and my experience with my brake pedal and wonder if your chasing a non existent problem

Thanks for checking! The spongy, sinking pedal is definitely a new characteristic since I changed out the brakes. I'm just saying I can get enough pressure to stop the truck. The initial bite is pretty high in the pedal travel but it takes a significant amount of additional travel to increase braking force.

I checked in my other vehicle (Subaru WRX STI) and it stays firm no matter how much pressure I apply. My wife's Odyssey, however, goes to the floor fairly easily. To be fair, it needs front brakes soon.

EDIT: Also, I should add that I never get firm pressure on the first push. It goes right to the floor unless I pump it 3-4 times.

OP
OP
U

UniqueTII

Reaction score
Short additional update: I went out to bed the brakes per Powerstop's recommendation and lost most of my pedal pressure once the brakes got hot. It got to the point where I'd have to go all the way to the floor to get the truck to slow down and the truck started pulling to the right, although that could have been due to the road crown. After letting them cool down for a few miles, I had to slow down for a red light. I still had very little pedal pressure and had to go nearly to the floor to get any feedback.

I'm going to do some more troubleshooting before contacting the dealership again. I'll pinch all 4 lines to see if that changes the behavior at all.

Plati

Reaction score
Short additional update: I went out to bed the brakes per Powerstop's recommendation and lost most of my pedal pressure once the brakes got hot. It got to the point where I'd have to go all the way to the floor to get the truck to slow down and the truck started pulling to the right, although that could have been due to the road crown. After letting them cool down for a few miles, I had to slow down for a red light. I still had very little pedal pressure and had to go nearly to the floor to get any feedback.

I'm going to do some more troubleshooting before contacting the dealership again. I'll pinch all 4 lines to see if that changes the behavior at all.
btw ... i never really believed that this problem doesn't exist for you.
what a pain in the A$$ it must be for you. Sorry Dude - seriously
If my 2003 was doing that I would launch it down the bank into Irondequoit Creek

Plati

Reaction score
OK ... this is really humorous. I just went out to drive my 2003 to The Depot. Brake pedal goes right to the floor. Pump it couple times, same. Put in reverse ... NO BRAKES or very little. I was able to stop it, just barely after a few feet. Crap on driveway!!! Gotta be brake fluid I would guess. No brakes.

I can drive my 2014EL until I get the 2003 repaired. I'm gonna take the attitude that you helped me out by precipitating a failure in a safe location (driveway) rather than out in traffic where it would SUCK. TFF
:33:
IMG_2074.JPG

Once I look at it, I'll post up what broke

OP
OP
U

UniqueTII

Reaction score
btw ... i never really believed that this problem doesn't exist for you.
what a pain in the A$$ it must be for you. Sorry Dude - seriously
If my 2003 was doing that I would launch it down the bank into Irondequoit Creek
I'd do that but it's too flat here in Iowa. lol. I love the Irondequoit area! I drive through there going between my dad's place in Rochester and my sister's house in Oswego.

OP
OP
U

UniqueTII

Reaction score
OK ... this is really humorous. I just went out to drive my 2003 to The Depot. Brake pedal goes right to the floor. Pump it couple times, same. Put in reverse ... NO BRAKES or very little. I was able to stop it, just barely after a few feet. Crap on driveway!!! Gotta be brake fluid I would guess. No brakes.

I can drive my 2014EL until I get the 2003 repaired. I'm gonna take the attitude that you helped me out by precipitating a failure in a safe location (driveway) rather than out in traffic where it would SUCK. TFF
:33:
View attachment 38270

Once I look at it, I'll post up what broke

Whoa, glad you found that safely! One of the worst mechanical failures I've had was a front control arm breaking in half on my old Mazda. Thankfully it happened at about 5 MPH in my apartment parking lot, not traveling highway speeds. Very lucky!

Plati

Reaction score
......Once I look at it, I'll post up what broke

Yes my superhuman leg strength blew out the 99% corroded front passenger steel brake line. I had already replaced the 2 steel lines to the rear so now I will do the 2 to the front. Need to do a couple other things at this time so a few jobs to do on the BEAST to keep it on life support. The flexible line on the driver side is original so I will do that at the same time since wrenching it is sketchy with all the corrosion. I hate corrosion. I could probably skip the driver side steel and flexible lines ... but thats like driving past a rest stop on I80 about an hour after a large coffee.
IMG_2084.JPG

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be your brake hoses from frame to calipers. They do go bad inside & deteriorate. Check rockauto.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360