Replacement tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JCP2018

Reaction score
Was going with 10 ply Hankook ATM. However, tires didn’t make it on time. Bought a set of Defender LTX instead. Great tire. Paid under $900.

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ever consider Nokian WR G3 SUV tires? They are a phenomenal all season tire, with Winter (snowflake rated) Traction ratings. Not terribly aggressive if you go off road, but a very good dry/wet/winter weather tire. Drawback is that they are pricey, but they will be better than most tires listed in the Snow if that is a consideration for you..

P.S. - Looks like they are only available in the 20" factory size (275/55R20), looks like you'd have to look at the ROTIIVA AT PLUS for the 18" factory fitment size..

1111ExpyEL1111

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ever consider Nokian WR G3 SUV tires? They are a phenomenal all season tire, with Winter (snowflake rated) Traction ratings. Not terribly aggressive if you go off road, but a very good dry/wet/winter weather tire. Drawback is that they are pricey, but they will be better than most tires listed in the Snow if that is a consideration for you..

P.S. - Looks like they are only available in the 20" factory size (275/55R20), looks like you'd have to look at the ROTIIVA AT PLUS for the 18" factory fitment size..

If I had a Nokian dealer near me there wouldn't be any decision to make. My son has Nokian's (don't recall which model) on his Trailblazer in AK and just loves them. Quiet and they have 35k miles and still plenty of life left in them.

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I had a Nokian dealer near me there wouldn't be any decision to make. My son has Nokian's (don't recall which model) on his Trailblazer in AK and just loves them. Quiet and they have 35k miles and still plenty of life left in them.

I've always ordered mine online and had them shipped to my installer. Hell, I've pretty much done that with all the tires I have bought in the last 20 years or so..

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 38K on the factory Pirelli Scorpion Verde all-seasons. Been a good tire so far. Nice and quiet and fair in the snow. I'm a bit past halfway on the treadwear so I will likely go through the summer and replace in the fall. I see they have a new version of the same tire - I'll go with that or the Michelin when the time comes.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone used the Firestone Destination LE2 tires on their Expedition? I have used them on an Explorer, 2 full size vans, and a little Ranger. They wore well, were quiet, and seemed to handle North Texas weather just fine. I'm not in the market yet, but keeping my eyes out for next 12 to 18 months when I will probably start looking.

Bruce Mitchell

Reaction score
I recently put a set of new, Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 265/70-17s on my '99 EB. Walmart. $110/ea plus mount & balance. Reasonably quiet (the Mach sound system takes care of road noise just fine;)), good wet weather traction. Not top-of-the-line by any means, but sufficient for my purposes. Of course, I don't plan on towing anything more substantial than a 15' tri-hull runabout in the foreseeable future.

Flight-ER-Doc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2017 came with Hankook Dynapro ATM. They are 6 ply, look good, aren't loud, have been good in rain, and are about 2,500# load rate. I'm happy with the tire.

My '15 (a dealer demo, but they wore the tires down in 8K miles) had Hankooks on them when I picked it up..I can't say how pleased I am with them! They lasted until I had around 61K on them (so, 52K miles), handled GREAT on snow and ice in Ontario, and do well off road in California and now Texas.

I liked them so much I bought another set...and I'm still happy with them at around 69k miles.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Goodyear typically has rebates. The rebate doubles if you put them on a Goodyear credit card. No interest if paid off within a year. Lucky for you I still have my notes. I narrowed it down to three Goodyears.

View attachment 25634

Duratrac is a very aggressive tread. Cool, but some reported road noise and a loss of 1-2 MPG as expected with such an aggressive tread. It's considered all season and a winter tire.

Fortitude is more like a highway tire. Looks a lot like a passenger car tire.

Trailrunner has characteristics of both. That's what I settled on. I got a $120 rebate on them which brought the tire costs down to $480. Add road hazard and installation and I think it was another $100 or so on top of that. I like them. They are a smooth ride down the highway, but aggressive enough off road. To give you an example, I pulled my 5500 lb camper out of a field last February that had a foot of snow. No issues!

Others Kelly ATs are typically OEM. Fuel Max had a lower payload, and the Kevlar one was out of my price for what I wanted to put on a 15 year old vehicle.

Goodyears are scary shit.

I'd avoid em if they were free