Replacement tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought a 17 EL. Tires are OEM Goodyears and have about 45k on them now. Inner tread is great, nearly 10/32 left. However, previous owner never rotated and outers are pushing 3. Needless to say it gets scary when the rain hits here and am looking to replace them.

We primarily go on trips right now, but may tow a small camper in the future. Wet weather traction is a must, and am not looking at anything more aggressive than an AT2 Michelin due to road noise. However, my budget is under $900 a set, and my choices are somewhat limited. One tire I'm looking at is the Mesa AP2 from TK; with promo tires are under $600 complete, and that's a 10 ply tire. Otherwise, I'm not sure. Prices average pretty close to $1,000 for more well known brands, but deals are out there.

Any advice?

Crazy expensive

Shop around for deals.

My Gator has Lincoln 18" wheels so probably a different tire size (255/70r18) but I managed to score some brand new top of the line Michelin LTX2's w/ 70k warranty for $103/ea (450 all four shipped and taxed) from walmart.com

+100 for install and road hazard warranty

According to Tirerack, that's the third best reviews tire on the market in that class... Slightly higher & first place rated Kumho's were just $20/ea more, and second place Sumitomo's were $15/ea more....however, the Mickeys had way MORE reviews and seemed to be held to a higher standard by the reviewers. And cmon, who says no to new Michelins at $103 a pop??

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not blemished. Not takeoffs. No dry rot or signs of improper storage deterioration, seems like this company sells excess stock off at deep discounts before it has a chance to push its shelf life.

BTW, the Goodyears that they replaced had fresh-ish date codes indicating they were 3yo and a bunch of tread left at first glance, but when I showed the new-to-me Gator L to a friend he took a close look and told me to replace that shit before it kills me: I looked and they were chipped in many places, missing chunks, and dry rotted as hell and looking scary...

No way I'm touching another Goodyear. That was VERY disturbing to say the least.

Last edited:

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have just over 23k on my 16. hankooks...they are getting terrible, our roads are chewing the edges of tread up horribly. they get rotated and balanced every 5k and pressure adjusted if we are "just the two of us" to help even out tread wear across the width.
i find running 40 p front and 38 in rears provides a good contact patch

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's some crap tires.

Only things that should die that fast are summer Pirellis on overpowered sportscars, but with those you're paying for the grip and the smooth as buttah ride and ought to know what you're in for

5x10

Reaction score
Now you have me wondering

I bought my 2016 platinum with 35k miles on it, they had pirelli scorpion verde on them
Are those OEM from the factory

They have close to 50k miles on them and will be replaced with Michelin soon

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now you have me wondering

I bought my 2016 platinum with 35k miles on it, they had pirelli scorpion verde on them
Are those OEM from the factory

They have close to 50k miles on them and will be replaced with Michelin soon
No those are not factory tires. I have the Verdes on my wife’s MDX. Good tires

1111ExpyEL1111

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like our Pirelli Scorpions. Quiet and excellent rain/snow traction. We are the second owner of a truck and we bought it with 45k on the odometer. We now have over 90k and the tires will be replaced before next winter. I don't know what I'm going to replace the Pirellis with but if they are cost effective, I have no problem putting another set on.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Goodyear typically has rebates. The rebate doubles if you put them on a Goodyear credit card. No interest if paid off within a year. Lucky for you I still have my notes. I narrowed it down to three Goodyears.

upload_2018-6-18_9-28-25.png

Duratrac is a very aggressive tread. Cool, but some reported road noise and a loss of 1-2 MPG as expected with such an aggressive tread. It's considered all season and a winter tire.

Fortitude is more like a highway tire. Looks a lot like a passenger car tire.

Trailrunner has characteristics of both. That's what I settled on. I got a $120 rebate on them which brought the tire costs down to $480. Add road hazard and installation and I think it was another $100 or so on top of that. I like them. They are a smooth ride down the highway, but aggressive enough off road. To give you an example, I pulled my 5500 lb camper out of a field last February that had a foot of snow. No issues!

Others Kelly ATs are typically OEM. Fuel Max had a lower payload, and the Kevlar one was out of my price for what I wanted to put on a 15 year old vehicle.

Olivy

Reaction score
I bought the 2015 Lincoln Navigator brand new with 22” wheels. The pirelli scorpion verdes came on it from the factory. Great tire!