Replacement tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCP2018

Reaction score
Just bought a 17 EL. Tires are OEM Goodyears and have about 45k on them now. Inner tread is great, nearly 10/32 left. However, previous owner never rotated and outers are pushing 3. Needless to say it gets scary when the rain hits here and am looking to replace them.

We primarily go on trips right now, but may tow a small camper in the future. Wet weather traction is a must, and am not looking at anything more aggressive than an AT2 Michelin due to road noise. However, my budget is under $900 a set, and my choices are somewhat limited. One tire I'm looking at is the Mesa AP2 from TK; with promo tires are under $600 complete, and that's a 10 ply tire. Otherwise, I'm not sure. Prices average pretty close to $1,000 for more well known brands, but deals are out there.

Any advice?

OP
OP
J

JCP2018

Reaction score
He never aligned it, either, also accounting for the uneven wear. Now have a lifetime alignment in place.

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Michelin LTX M/S2 M+S series have worked well for me. I got mine through Sears for a lot less than the Rire Tack price. I think they're also available in Ford Quick Lanes. I drive in the snow quite a bit and have found these stable, quiet and reliable.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My KO2’s are not loud at all. Around $900 a set. Awesome tire. c0f86a33e0e1578108d58ec4020833c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Advice, spend the money on good tires.
You’ll be replacing those off brand TKs long before the Michelins. So you’ll either pay now or pay later and your pay later after a blow out pulling a trailer will likely be a lot more expensive.

I am about the cheapest person you’ll come across.
Tires and brakes get the best regardless of price. Especially if you plan on pulling a trailer. Do yourself a favor and everyone else on the road a favor spend a bit more and get the Michilens.

The KO2s are another solid choice and will be what I replace the Goodyear’s with. Though I have a long while to go as the dealer put them on when I bought it a few months back.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Don't run light truck (10 ply rating) tires unless you want a truck-like ride.

I ran Bridgestone AT Dueler Revo-2s P-sized (not LT) on my 2007. First set from Tire Rack, second set local. They'll probably on my 2017 when the time comes. Both were daily drivers in all Ohio weather including the Snow Belt and towing a travel trailer several times a year across the Great Lakes and east.

-- Chuck

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 17 EL came with the Hankooks and after 12K miles I swapped them for e rated Michelin LTs because I tow a heavy toy hauler and wanted a stiffer tire.

They make the ride rougher especially when theyre aired up but I just air them down a bit and the ride isn't bad.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Michelin LTX M/S2 M+S series have worked well for me. I got mine through Sears for a lot less than the Rire Tack price. I think they're also available in Ford Quick Lanes. I drive in the snow quite a bit and have found these stable, quiet and reliable.

Same here. GREAT tires.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mesa tires are (were?) a private label brand mfg by Cooper Tire for TBC corp. TBC sells Mesa at their Big O, Midas, Tire Kingdom, Merchants Auto and NTB locations. There may be others.

TBC is joint owned by Michelin and Sumitomo. Them using Cooper is a bit ironic, until you consider quality standards. Then it just becomes simple business decisions.

There is a reason why you won't find Cooper tires OEM on any brand. I'd buy used Michelins before a new Cooper.

I'm very satisfied with my current tires - Nitto NT420s.