Replacement tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aps630

Reaction score
Looking to replace Michelin tires with something that has a bit more snow traction. Not looking for winter tires at this point.

Has any one tried the all terrains, and are they noisy on dry pavement?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do some googling - mud tires are likely worse in snow than your average all-season even the Michelin’s.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking to replace Michelin tires with something that has a bit more snow traction. Not looking for winter tires at this point.

Has any one tried the all terrains, and are they noisy on dry pavement?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

My Cooper AT3s have the snowflake rating. They did well in light snow and slush despite me having 2WD. I've been very impressed with them thus far. Great all around tire.

OP
OP
A

Aps630

Reaction score
Do some googling - mud tires are likely worse in snow than your average all-season even the Michelin’s.

Considering something that is Severe Snow Service Rated such as Pirelli scorpion all terrain plus. The Michelin’s are terrible especially stopping in snow and the high center of gravity of the vehicle isn’t helping when cornering. We have winters on all other vehicles but just not worth the hassle to do it for the Expedition.

OP
OP
A

Aps630

Reaction score
My Cooper AT3s have the snowflake rating. They did well in light snow and slush despite me having 2WD. I've been very impressed with them thus far. Great all around tire.

did you switch from regular all seasons and how was noise /comfort etc. Thanks in advance.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had all-season Hankooks and Sailuns prior to switching to the Coopers. I was worried about noise because of the tread pattern, but it's been a non-issue. The tires definitely ride stiffer, because mine are "E" load, but not so much that it's been uncomfortable. I actually prefer the ride with the "E" tires, as the ones I used prior felt mushy and unstable at high speeds. I distinctly recall being very uncomfortable with the Hankooks when passing on two lane roads, as the vehicle felt very wobbly and unstable. Now it's great at all speeds. If you have a Discount Tire nearby, I think they will let you switch the tires for a nominal fee if you are unhappy with them. For me, the Coopers have provided a great balance of handling, towing ability, and ride comfort. I was also impressed with their traction when it snowed while we were in New Mexico. I didn't have any issues maintaining control on the snow and slush covered roads while traveling back through Northwest Texas.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Michelins and BFGs come out of the same facility
I’m going with the hybrid A/T BFG Advantage Sport. I had them on my Sequoia and they were a great mix of durability and traction with no down side on the pavement

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have the Cooper AT3. Great tire. Not noisy on the highway- I’ve taken a couple trips where I get gas, get on the highway, get off the highway when the tank is empty, fill up and repeat. Good snow traction.

I’ll probably rebuy these when the time comes.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Michelins and BFGs come out of the same facility
I’m going with the hybrid A/T BFG Advantage Sport. I had them on my Sequoia and they were a great mix of durability and traction with no down side on the pavement

I would consider the BFG for the Expedition in 22" as well as my wife uses ours as the grocery getter and family school bus. What I like about the BFG it resembles a HT style tire with the 3peak snow rating. I have Toyo AT3 on my F150 and love them, but prefer more of a HT style tire for the expy.