Replacing coolant hoses this weekend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maverick

Reaction score
I have finally decided to take the time to replace the coolant lines from the block to the heater core on my 99 5.4 EB. I have had it in my driveway all winter long with still no heat after trying everything known to man to get the heat back on. This is my last try and after that......???? Any suggestions or new attempts from anyone that has experienced this problem please fill me in. Thanks in advance.

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the rear heater hose is nearly impossible. ther is a special tool for the clamps that is a remote squeeze grip setup that makes it a little easier. there is also a special tool to release the hoses from the heater core also. just asking but what have you tried so far?

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up! I have replaced and repaired everything I know to fix. Here is a list if repaired items:

Replaced: 1- water pump 2-both heater core(s) 3- burped on 5 occasions. 4- Changed t-stat. 5- replaced blend door actuator. 6- inspected blend doors for operation. 7- Checked coolant pressure. 7- replaced coolant cap. 8- checked coolant level and checked for leaks(no leaks).

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would replace the blend door they have a tendency to crack around the blend door motor shaft and then they dont open or close correctly. you have to pull the dash back, but if you put in the heater core it is the same work.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Reaction score
I had it apart before when I changed the HC and checked it thoroughly. I can hear it opening and closing just fine. The thing is, this engine came from a salvage yard and I don't how long it's been without heat.

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do the hoses get hot both to and from the heater core? If they do then it has to be in the plenum somewhere. if not there is a restriction of flow somewhere.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Reaction score
Both hoses get warm only and I think it's just from the heat produced by the manifold.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Disconnect the input or output hose to the hc and run the engine while catching the coolant in a bucket for a couple of seconds. That will tell you if you have flow to or from the cooler. If you do have flow it should me quite a bit more than a trickle.
When you changed the wp, did you notice any form of stop leak crap in the block? If so that may have restricted the fittings to the hoses.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Reaction score
I have routed the hoses directly to the front HC to see if I would get heat. Still no heat. I have eliminated most of the fittings from the block with the exception of the metal ones directly attached to the block. I had a shop replace the water pump due to lack of time to do it. I still have the old pump and some of the fins are worn down on it.