replacing ECU/PCM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pohoda

Reaction score
I have been having problems with the engine temp gauge pegging and then showing an overheat condition. I had the temp sensor replaced which on my model is shared with the cylinder temp gauge and requires the intake manifold be removed. After changing the sensor things were fine for about 1 day and then I started getting an engine temp gauge error where the gauge stops reading and causes the A/C to turn off. After checking for wiring errors or shorts I researched on here and I have concluded that the ECU may be bad. I don't want to take it to the dealer (only as a last resort) so I found some used ECUs and even new ones online. The issue is that everyone says it is not a plug and play replacement and I have to get it programmed at the dealer.

Can anyone suggest how I can replace the ECU myself?

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless you have access to the hardware and software to reflash the pcm, you are going to visit a dealer.

OP
OP
P

pohoda

Reaction score
Unless you have access to the hardware and software to reflash the pcm, you are going to visit a dealer.
Thanks for the reply stamp. Definitely not the answer I was looking for, but appreciated nevertheless.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

onlyexilove

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife has a 2004 and the temp gauge did the same thing from time to time along with the dash message center reading loss of power occasionally even though it never actually loss power. We took it to Ford who had it for about 3 days total and came back to saying it was the computer but they weren't completely sure that was the problem. I ended up ordering one from a site online and received it within about 3-4 days. I took the Expy back up to Ford since they said they would redo the keys at no charge. I swapped the computer in about 5 minutes inside of the shop area and it took them about 20 minutes to re-flash the computer for my keys (leaving the battery connected the whole time per the new computer install requirements, also only has 2 bolts holding it in place to the firewall). Any lock smith with the correct program can re-flash the computer to work with your current keys for less than what Ford will charge (which is normally around $110 or one hour of shop time). Here is the link for the company I went through. I hope this helps.
https://www.neatcomputers.net/562/F...rN5ZFDDnNzYD7oE-XmwAydfKXMSM-6yABUaAg5V8P8HAQ

OP
OP
P

pohoda

Reaction score
My wife has a 2004 and the temp gauge did the same thing from time to time along with the dash message center reading loss of power occasionally even though it never actually loss power. We took it to Ford who had it for about 3 days total and came back to saying it was the computer but they weren't completely sure that was the problem. I ended up ordering one from a site online and received it within about 3-4 days. I took the Expy back up to Ford since they said they would redo the keys at no charge. I swapped the computer in about 5 minutes inside of the shop area and it took them about 20 minutes to re-flash the computer for my keys (leaving the battery connected the whole time per the new computer install requirements, also only has 2 bolts holding it in place to the firewall). Any lock smith with the correct program can re-flash the computer to work with your current keys for less than what Ford will charge (which is normally around $110 or one hour of shop time). Here is the link for the company I went through. I hope this helps.
https://www.neatcomputers.net/562/F...rN5ZFDDnNzYD7oE-XmwAydfKXMSM-6yABUaAg5V8P8HAQ
thx onlyexilove. That is exactly what i was looking for. I have to see how cool the guys are at the local Ford dealership. in the past i have had luck with getting them to give me updates to the ecu at no charge.

onlyexilove

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thx onlyexilove. That is exactly what i was looking for. I have to see how cool the guys are at the local Ford dealership. in the past i have had luck with getting them to give me updates to the ecu at no charge.

I wish I could have had them update my ECU for free lol. They charged me for that but since they couldn't figure out the issue decided to redo my keys after I swapped the ECU. I guess it balances out in the end. The worst they could do is say no or possibly do it for a lower cost.

OP
OP
P

pohoda

Reaction score
Yeah my situation was that Hypertech needed a print out from the dealership stating what exact version software I was running so that they could update my handheld to make it compatible after the dealership updated the ECU on another warranty visit. The service manager was super cool about it and had a tech plug in their system into my car. He then told me there was an update and that he would update it for me if I wanted. Of course I took him up on it so that it would hopefully be the last time I had to pay Hypertech to update my handheld that i already paid good money for!

OP
OP
P

pohoda

Reaction score
Just as am update to this thread I ended up sending my ECU to a company called SIA Electronics. They test and repair ECUs. In my case the ECU was not bad and they simply ran a diagnostic on it and tested the specific circuits related to the P Codes my car was throwing. I am so glad I did this because I was ready to just get a new ECU and that would have been pretty costly only to find that the issue persisted. It is looking to be an electrical issue at this point and I am in the process of troubleshooting the wiring. I will post the results later.