required mods for e4od in expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maverick1701

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 1997 Expedition 4x4 w/5.4 and e4od transmission.

Before my expedition, I owned several powerstrokes and IDIs and was active on related forums w/mods etc.

I am not a fan of the e4od transmission and am skeptical of owning another e4od. In the powerstroke world, most people install extra transmission filters (in line style), an upgraded transmission cooler (I installed one out of a 6.0 into my 95 powerstroke), and gauges to monitor trans temp...especially while 4x4ing/towing (how I burned up an e4od)
(filter like this: http://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsitetransmissionfiltersystemford1994-199773l.aspx)

My question is, what do most people in the exped world do to help ensure the longevity of their e4ods? Are filters/upgraded coolers even required on an expedition? (being so much smaller than an F350). How do most people on this forum handle the higher trans temps while 4x4ing and towing?
thanks

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I know that my truck came with a tranny cooler located behind the bumper that is part of the towing package from the factory. I fully believe that they make a big difference in longevity. Otherwise, installing things such as a shift kit, which shortens shifts making for less heat being produced, and having a programmer can help as well. I just rolled 200,000 in my rig and my tranny has been very strong throughout.

Are there things you do not like about your tranny that you would not go with another one? Obviously the power distribution is going to be different than an F-350 as you know, but otherwise I think they are pretty solid for light off-roading and towing.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I also had the hd towing package, so the only upgrade that I made was an Edge programmer that got rid of the sloppy shifts. All that slipping between shifts is where a great deal of the heat comes from.

OP
OP
Maverick1701

Maverick1701

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cool thanks guys. I also have the two extra radiators (trans/PS?) in front of the main radiator....so I assume I have the hd towing package as well. I might look into a programmer like you recommended...once I get payed.

I burrned up an e4od while 4x4ing one day and am very hesitant to take another one 4x4ing. We pretty much spent the while day in 1st/2nd gear w/out and TC lockup and she got a bit toasty.

signdoctor

Reaction score
Oil Cooler

Your other cooler is most likely an oil cooler. I have abused my e4od bad and serviced it good and have never had a problem. That being said, an F350 would be putting out a whole lot more power than a generation 1 expo and you should be just fine. The 4r100 is the beefed up version of the e4od if you really don't want it and it would require a matching ecm and wire harness for that tranny.