Retirement's Rust of Death

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
A sad day today. I watched the scrap dealer cart away my beloved 2000 Expedition. It was a Company truck for me - my loyal partner through ten years of railroad work. Chasing derailments, investigating crossing fatalities. Day and night, rain and shine. Through the snow on 30-hour assignments. Through sand, swamp, bluestone ballast, creosote and railroad tracks.

I retired and the truck came with me, serving my family for another decade. A well earned and paid-for gift. Well treated with always Autolite and Ford parts, it was nursed through 230,000 miles. But time marches on, and a replacement was found, the 2000 being offered for sale as a clean, well maintained high mileage fleet truck for a few bucks.

Yesterday in moving it across the street, the thing blew out a rear brake line. Okay, another job, I figured. Climbing under I found rust. Lots of rust. Rust I never saw before -- never knew it was there. The skid plate protecting the tank that covered the brake line was rusted gone. Both trailing arms were rusted away -- you could see through them. The upper control arms were gone too and there wasn't nothing left of the track bar.

Sure, if I was in high school, I would have put another yard of junk yard parts into it and on my way. But the Expedition earned its retirement. They came and got it, good tires, battery, fresh trans fluid and all and left me with $300 for scrap.

It was a sad day.

An old friend was gone, along with the last remnant of a beloved 30 year career.

I guess now I might be growing a bit rusty myself.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of the saddest days for me was having my buddy follow me and my 1984 Lincoln mark 7 over to Oakland, to turn my 17 year long friend over to pick and pull for their buy back program. A crappy shop that did a heater core messed up my electrical so bad, it was time. It was like having to put down a pet that was part of you. I know I always post don't get attached, move on, but that car was probably the best I'd had. The first 3 months were rough, timing chain at only 60k, but after that it ran and ran. Gotta keep an eye on the horizon, the rear view mirror in life is non existent! Only in your dreams at night.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Thank NY State's use of salt, for ruining our cars. Manufactures use of poorly treated and exposed parts, doesn't help. A couple hundred dollars, spent for better coatings, rustproofing and splash shields, would help, greatly. I personally use the oil treatment rust protection, called Ruststop. The new aluminum bodies are not immune from salt.

OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that Rustop doesn't have any dealers here on Long Island. They're all over Western New York, but unheard of here in the downstate region...

Aluminum doesn't take kindly to road salt at all. They'll be some surprised folks in a few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK