Reverse camera distortion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2017 XLT is the first vehicle I ever owned in 48 years with a camera and I don't use it but I did notice, out of the corner of my eye, a few days ago that the screen was distorted when I was looking out of pass side mirror. I was able to clear it by opening/closing the tailgate but in the overall scheme of things if it went out permanently it wouldn't bother me. To me, all the electronics that all the auto manufacturers put in their vehicles now are just another thing waiting to break.

Hal Flynt

Reaction score
Sorry you're having this issue, it's really frustrating. I think I posted a photo of what my screen looked like earlier in the thread, but no pictures of the connector.

Both times that I experienced the issue, it was because the connector in rear beneath the trim was filthy and likely had some corrosion or contamination. I noticed the rubber seal degraded and basically disintegrated the last time I cleaned it out. I suggest starting there, as it shouldn't take more than an hour to disassemble. The hardest part is reaching all the plastic panels clips in the rear. To fix the issue, I packed the connector with dielectric grease then sealed it with a liquid tape product to prevent water from getting into it. Make sure both ends are secure. There's a plastic tab to lock both halves together. Good luck.

So Sunday I went back at this again - when I got to the wiring harness - all the connectors still looked good and tight. There was dirt in the area but nothing inside the connectors etc... Dielectric grease still good and the rubber grommet in great shape. Took the wiring harness out of the car to examine it more closely. This is a couple of wiring harnesses actually - one for the license plate lights, the window actuator and then the rear camera. They all terminate on the same connector located inside the rear liftgate inside it where it plugs into the larger harness that routes around the rear window and into the ceiling. The part that's outside the vehicle beneath the "expedition" trim piece is where I focused. I unwrapped all the electrical tape and saw that someone else had done work on this harness. Looked like they cut and crimped the black ground wire into the shielding directly where it plugs into the camera - then about halfway down they cut the sheathing away to see the shielding...then at the other end they crimped the black ground wire into the sheathing on that end inside the car. There was some other crimps for other wires. I ignored them. I decided to cut the black wire to the shielding on both ends and run my own black wire through and crimped them to each end prior to the connectors. I then taped everything up nice and tight, added a dab more dielectric grease and put it back together. Worked great!!

Worked for 24 hours, then yesterday afternoon it acted up AGAIN! It was hotter in the afternoon was the only thing I can note different. Much cooler temps on Sunday. I'm at a loss.

I have searched and searched for a replacement wiring harness between the camera through the grommet and to the inside connector. Cannot find a part number anywhere. Anyone have this number? Want to just replace that piece to know it's legit given the evidence of previous work on what I have now.

Anyone have this handy?

ranger10

Reaction score
Anyone have an update on the reverse camera issues? I am experiencing them on my 2016 EL. Camera works for a while, then it gets distorted, then goes to unavailable, then starts working again. Seems to change based opening and closing the back hatch and the rear passenger side door?

I have read the instructions to open the area and check wiring but that seems like it is only an intermittent fix. Anybody find a permanent solution?

legbrnr

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2010 Limited MAX about a month ago and I don't even get the unavailable message, I get nothing. Could this be a wiring issue? Where would I even start to diagnose the problem.
Thank You

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2017 XLT is the first vehicle I ever owned in 48 years with a camera and I don't use it but I did notice, out of the corner of my eye, a few days ago that the screen was distorted when I was looking out of pass side mirror. I was able to clear it by opening/closing the tailgate but in the overall scheme of things if it went out permanently it wouldn't bother me. To me, all the electronics that all the auto manufacturers put in their vehicles now are just another thing waiting to break.

I’ve been driving since the late 1960’s.

I have found the rear view camera to be one of the most useful features of newer vehicles - and can’t image driving a vehicle without one.

How do you check the rear of your vehicle when backing?

Even when looking behind the vehicle before your enter and back it up, you can not be assured that something (a child, animal, etc.) could move behind your vehicle. The Expedition is tall and large, and the rear and side view mirrors do not give the driver a full view behind the vehicle.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a matter of getting reference points looking in all three mirrors and continuously checking the mirrors while backing.
Like when you got your first big SUV or pick-up and the front seemed really far out so you always left more space because you thought the bumper would hit whatever was in front, but after a while you are able to pull up to an inch or two and now it just seems easy.

How did you back up before you had a rear cam?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a matter of getting reference points looking in all three mirrors and continuously checking the mirrors while backing.
Like when you got your first big SUV or pick-up and the front seemed really far out so you always left more space because you thought the bumper would hit whatever was in front, but after a while you are able to pull up to an inch or two and now it just seems easy.

How did you back up before you had a rear cam?

I always checked the mirrors (some cars in the 1960’s and early 1970’s did not have right side, outside rear view mirrors.

I find the rear view I camera invaluable, and although I also use the rear view mirrors - I like that I can clearly see the ground and the blind spot behind my Expedition (and other vehicles I drive).

My Expedition has the front and rear parking sensors, and I also like that feature - especially when pulling forward into a tight garage space.

The auto industry has developed so many vehicle features (and many safety features) since I began driving in the late 1960’s - and many of them I really appreciate.

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My last fix worked until the past month or so. Now it's right back to the distortion and intermittent failure. I'm convinced it's caused by the connector, because I can fix it temporarily by slapping the chrome trim on the hatch where the camera is affixed. It's really frustrating that Ford couldn't get this right. At this point, I'm tired of dealing with it. I can reverse into spots just fine without it, but I keep a ball on the rear to dissuade others from following too closely and it is helpful for keeping proper clearance when backing in.

My current plan is to install a mirror dashcam with forward and rear facing cameras. Some of these have always on rear-facing cameras. With the vehicle in very short supply, I don't think I'll be able to upgrade anytime soon, and I wanted a dashcam anyway. Too many crazy drivers on the roads these days.