Reverse Lights Don't Work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TN_XLT

Reaction score
My reverse lights stopped working. I checked the 20A fuse in the passenger foot well. It is good. I read that the Safety Neutral Switch down on the transmission shifter is a possible culprit for this type failure. How do I check this switch? Thanks.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turn the ingnition on, not running, put the emergency brake on and use wheel chocks and put it in reverse. Get under the vehicle and check to see if you have power. If you don't, thats the problem.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
change the bulbs...make sure your getting power to the socket as well

OP
OP
T

TN_XLT

Reaction score
I don't have power to the back-up light socket. I replaced the SNS and still don't have power to the sockets. I re-checked the fuse (#10 position 20A). It is good. Any other ideas?

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not the neutral safety switch. The reverse sensor on the tranny itself. It should have two wires on it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TN_XLT

Reaction score
I was told the SNS is a multi-function switch that controls the back-up lights when the transmission selector is put into the Reverse position.

If you crawl under the vehicle behind the driver-side front tire, here is what you see:
attachment.php

Where is the reverse sensor?

Attachments

• 03_Expedition_Safety_Neutral_Switch_R1.jpg
    03_Expedition_Safety_Neutral_Switch_R1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 13,066
OP
OP
T

TN_XLT

Reaction score
Well I can't explain what happened...but my backup lights now work fine. It is possible the make-shift pigtail I made for the backup light socket didn't make connection when I checked using the mulitmeter. Regardless, looks like the switch on the transmission solved the problem. On to the next problem...