Road trip prep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was wondering about the alternator. My truck doesn’t use a drop of oil between its 5,000 mile oil changes so I think I’ll skip that. It does seem like the Ford alternators pick trips like these to die in my experience lol.

Wow, that's a rare bird among the 5.4s. I go through a good 1.5 qts every 5k miles and always have. Back when it was still under warranty all the techs were commenting on how low my oil consumption was compared to most of the 5.4s. lol

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have an '07 two wheel drive with 136,000 that I brought back to Florida from Michigan, was a Florida truck. Uses no oil between changes but replace at 3,000 miles. Only thing I did for trip was added 5# more air over recommendation on door jamb. Truck has 20" wheels and did not notice any change in the ride but did get 19.4 MPG.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe that is included if you also have auto insurance through them.

"Additional values are available to Executive Members such as lower prices on check printing, auto buying, roadside assistance included at no charge for vehicles covered through the Auto Insurance program"

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a rare bird among the 5.4s. I go through a good 1.5 qts every 5k miles and always have. Back when it was still under warranty all the techs were commenting on how low my oil consumption was compared to most of the 5.4s. lol

Ive had two 2007’s now. Neither 5.4 has used a drop between 5k mile intervals. I have always checked regularly never needed to add so far.

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Ford says up to a quart of oil consumption in 1,000 is normal. My immediate family and I have always had similar vehicles/drivetrains and we always compared oil usage in them. In general those that lived highway miles used less than those that poked around mainly around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford says up to a quart of oil consumption in 1,000 is normal.

Yeah I recall having a chat about it w/ the techs. My Asian sedans have never burn or leaked any - or at least not enough to even see a change on the dipstick. My previous Fords would burn 1/4-3/4 qt every 5-6K miles. My current Expedition just eats it up though.

My immediate family and I have always had similar vehicles/drivetrains and we always compared oil usage in them. In general those that lived highway miles used less than those that poked around mainly around town.

My oil consumption seems to coincide with distance driven with possibly greater consumption for highway usage. If I drive around town for a week, I often don't need to add any all week. If I make a run out to my usual hiking spots (about 65 mi round trip) I'll need to add a 1/4 qt after a couple trips. If I make a long drive for a job (could be 200 miles or more round trip) then I'll need to add 3/8 qt the next morning before I head out.

Plati

Reaction score
Check your license, registration, and inspection before the trip.
It might be 4 months out of date or you might leave it home!!!! LMAOWBBQingPORKBELLY

I was up in Canada couple years ago in Jasper National Park @ Athabasca Falls. Bunch of motorcyclists there from Texas in trouble with the Park Ranger. One guy did not bring his license registration or insurance on the trip & they drove there from Texas. I watched the whole thing ... he was sweatin bullets and had to call home to his wife to have her find it and take a picture of it or something. It was DUMB.
IMG_0907 1.jpg

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Ford says up to a quart of oil consumption in 1,000 is normal. My immediate family and I have always had similar vehicles/drivetrains and we always compared oil usage in them. In general those that lived highway miles used less than those that poked around mainly around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drive 99% highway, 500-1000 miles weekly. If I drive at 65-75 mph I’ll use 1 quart between oil changes at 4000 mile intervals w 5-30 synthetic.

If I drive 85mph+ for hours each day I’ll use as much as 2 quarts between 4000 mile oil changes.

I think it all depends on driving style and use.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My in laws 03 uses a fair amount at the higher speeds as well, I drove it to the lake approx 500mi round trip and used nearly average speed was likely 75 or so for most of the drive. I was loaded with everyone's luggage but no trailer so likely no heavier than I would have been with normal passengers.

Its identical to mine save for an earlier build date. Half the paint has literally fallen off the doors, has had electrical issues over the years, and is extremely noisy going down the road with rattles and the like. They're only about 20k apart in mileage. It sounds like one of those quitting time on a friday kind of things. Mine is the total opposite in every way. Quiet, doesn't eat oil, etc. The most oil I've put in was shy of a half qt when I was pushing a 6k oil change.

Both are using full synthetic.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My in laws 03 uses a fair amount at the higher speeds as well, I drove it to the lake approx 500mi round trip and used nearly average speed was likely 75 or so for most of the drive. I was loaded with everyone's luggage but no trailer so likely no heavier than I would have been with normal passengers.

Its identical to mine save for an earlier build date. Half the paint has literally fallen off the doors, has had electrical issues over the years, and is extremely noisy going down the road with rattles and the like. They're only about 20k apart in mileage. It sounds like one of those quitting time on a friday kind of things. Mine is the total opposite in every way. Quiet, doesn't eat oil, etc. The most oil I've put in was shy of a half qt when I was pushing a 6k oil change.

Both are using full synthetic.

I tried Mobil 1 synthetic on the last truck and it started to use some, went right back to Motocraft blend and it stopped.

Last edited: