Rocker Panel Rust Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've discovered my rocker panels are rusting through completely from the inside out. Anyone with some experience, please advise.

I can't locate any rust repair panels for the expeditions. Anybody know of any?

If they don't exist, I know they can be custom cut/bent out of sheet metal. If I go that route, what type of metal do I need to get? (gauge, type, etc)

I have access to a welder and someone with minimal experience (free labor).

Plan would be to cut out the rust, weld in new metal. Prime/seal and topcoat with bedliner.

If I bring this to a shop, any idea how much it would cost per side? Just would want it cut out and new metal welded in. I'd do the paint on my own.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

zets101

Reaction score
How far gone are they? You might have to form same rockers yourself. I see mine just starting to go on my passenger side. My rust was hard to see because it hides between the door and the big running boards, I didn't notice it until I ran my hand along it. I'm not sure how bad your rockers are, but if you're just going to bed-line it, you might be better off just forming your own out of sheet metal if you can't locate some pre-made panels. As for how much? I'm not sure because I don't know a lot of body shops that like to do rust repair.

OP
OP
R

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

Zets - exactly, I never noticed because the running boards hid the rocker panels. They are pretty badly rusted. It looks like in order to get back to solid metal the entire bottom section (the 5 inches that faces the road) needs to be cut out.

baker - Thanks for the link. I'm checking it out now.

edit: It says rockers are out of stock, but are only $55/ea. The description says they are for crew cab F150s 97-03, Navigators 98-02, and Ex's 97-02. I didn't know the rockers were interchangeable (especially the pickups), but that should make it much easier to find parts. I know F150 rust repair panels are plentiful.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gotta be careful though... some differences from reg/supercab f150... supercrews are the same as a expy... I know mirrors are different not sure about doors