Roof Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robby830

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to the site. I purchased an 03 EB last month. Got a great deal, since it needed interior and exterior work. Engine is strong though and rides good. I've done all of the interior work and now I'm ready to move to the exterior.

Lots of pealng paint on the hood and on most panels. But before I get to that, I need to repair the rust on the roof. Looks like the previous owner just added primer over it and silicone over any holes. .

I was thinking of these three options.

Option 1: sand/grind off the rust and patch the holes with fiberglass resin/filler.

Option 2: cutoff rusted area and weld on new metal piece

Option 3: cutoff rust but use 3M binding adhesive for new metal piece

Any thoughts on best method?

Here's what it currently looks like from the outside and inside. I removed the headliner this past weekend.

IMAG7779_zpsi2utsi1l.jpg

IMAG7782_zpsebsjwwsb.jpg

IMAG7783_zpsigiol6sm.jpg

IMAG7780_zpsomcx5100.jpg

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dude I have a huge hole on my roof the size of a Golf Ball!!!! mines the same I used the aluminum tape for AC's to patch mine for now.

OP
OP
R

robby830

Reaction score
Dude I have a huge hole on my roof the size of a Golf Ball!!!! mines the same I used the aluminum tape for AC's to patch mine for now.

lol nice! 2 of mine would be more like baseballs if I sand it!

Maybe I should add an option 4: cutoff rust and install a sunroof!!

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aftermarket sunroofs will pretty much always leak. Either patch it up with something, or just have someone weld in new material. Depending on how much you care and "love" the truck, you can decide to make it pretty or not. Welding in new metal is in any case the solution that will last longer, and it's not hard to make a functional patch if you don't care how pretty it looks.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I Dremel tooled out all the rusted metal on mine and used JB Weld metal epoxy to cover the spots. Has held up very well with no rust return after five years. Mine wasn't nearly as bad as yours though, but it's worth looking at. Rust is a cancer for your vehicle though, so it's gotta be eliminated. It sure woulda been nice if the original owner had fixed it right early on. How do the rear channels look ? You'll probably find the same thing back there.

-Mike

J-B Weld metal epoxy - Made in USA

OP
OP
R

robby830

Reaction score
Aftermarket sunroofs will pretty much always leak. Either patch it up with something, or just have someone weld in new material. Depending on how much you care and "love" the truck, you can decide to make it pretty or not. Welding in new metal is in any case the solution that will last longer, and it's not hard to make a functional patch if you don't care how pretty it looks.
Yea, I was pretty much joking about the sunroof. I don't think it's worth the investment. Looks like the 2 bad really bad spots will need to be cut out and the others sanded to metal and patched up. I started some grinding last night.

OP
OP
R

robby830

Reaction score
I Dremel tooled out all the rusted metal on mine and used JB Weld metal epoxy to cover the spots. Has held up very well with no rust return after five years. Mine wasn't nearly as bad as yours though, but it's worth looking at. Rust is a cancer for your vehicle though, so it's gotta be eliminated. It sure woulda been nice if the original owner had fixed it right early on. How do the rear channels look ? You'll probably find the same thing back there.

-Mike

J-B Weld metal epoxy - Made in USA
I was thinking of using 3M panel adhesive, but it's pricey. I might give JB Weld a try. The rest of the roof has no issues. Just the front. Thanks!

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what is the 3M panel adhesive go for? will it leak after time? what does it look like can you post pics?
What do you think a body shop will charge to redo the entire roof?

OP
OP
R

robby830

Reaction score
what is the 3M panel adhesive go for? will it leak after time? what does it look like can you post pics?
What do you think a body shop will charge to redo the entire roof?
I saw it on Amazon for over $50 for 200ml.

Not sure of what a body shop will charge, but just getting the roof panel I think is over $500.

I actually just repaired one of the 6 grooves today. I used an angle grinder and cutoff the rusted area (about 4 inches around). I then put the 3M bondo self adhesive patch on it. Filled it with Bondo Hair for reinforcement, inside and outside. Sanded it down, then used body filler over it. Sanded that down, then applied etched primer followed by sandable primer. Once I repair the others, I'll be painting the truck.