Running A/C without Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a2005guy

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to run the A/C without running the engine. I have a dog that travels with me and during the summer we would like to stay in the car to cool off with the A/C on but not run the engine so that we can cool off and we do not have to idle for long periods of time.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Without the engine running to operate the Ac compressor the only other option is a small window shaker and generator.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
as said above the only way to do it is to either install an a/c (window shaker or RV style roof mounted) or figure out a way to power the compressor on it's own.

For reference my alarm / remote start will start the truck when the interior reaches a preset threshold and cool the truck to a desired temp then turn off. There are also options expressly for K9 handlers out there. Personally I wouldn't risk my dog in a truck in the summer.

OP
OP
A

a2005guy

Reaction score
I do not leave the dog in the car by himself. I am in there with him, I just do not want to have to run the engine and burn fuel while we are in there.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
or some kind of battery operated AC unit.

But by the time you factor in just how many gallons burned while idling (according to my scangauge I burn about 1/2 gallon per hour just idling) it will take to justify the cost of some crazy remote AC unit, you'll probably just run the engine.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a suggestion: Tint all the windows.

The rear windows on 03+ Expeditions are 'smoked' for privacy, but do little to nothing to reduce UV rays, radiant or infrared heat. Have a window tint place put a layer of film over every piece of glass, windshield and moonroof included. If you don't want or like dark(er) windows, or if its a legal issue, look into 3M Crystalline film. Its perfectly clear but will drastically block heat and UV rays. Your skin, dog, and interior will thank you. Lower interior temperatures mean less AC time is needed, but the other benefits are much greater.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no because the compressor runs on the serpertine belt that will only move when the engine is running...mythbusters did the experiment....with expeditions so i really paid attention when watching this episode...they drained the tanks of identical model and tank size then filled 5 gal of gas in both...gas was measure to be as precise as possible...one expedition ran a/c...the other didnt with windows down...the expedition with the windows down died before the expedition running air...tint the windows...crack the windows...and if the dog is big enough no one will attempt it anyway...i guess you could look for an air unit that you can plug in and buy a power inverter and plut into that...only thing i can think of

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The holy grail for sailors and boaters alike is to find a way to run the a/c on board without having to plug in or run the genset. Currently, there just isn't a practical way to do that without an impossibly large battery bank and a huge inverter. You can't get enough solar panels on the average boat to do it, wind power would again, have to be impossibly large.

So it's either run the engine or get an rv a/c unit and a genset.

Spades

Reaction score
the question is how long do you plan on staying in the car? Ive idled my car for about 20 mins with the AC on many times. Just watch your coolant temp gauges, mine doesnt budge even a little

hendricksen11

Reaction score
Interested in your decision.. I know I'll be pricing UVa and UVb blocking tint next payday myself! If I was you I would definitely start there, no matter your AC decision