rusted transmission cooling lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dogman

Reaction score
Well I just found out that I need to replace my transmission cooling lines due to rust. Its an 06 xlt. Are there any other lines or parts that are prone to rust on the expedition? Basically its been a pretty solid vehicle. I'm going to replace the transmission filter while I'm at it. So it is basically around 12 or 13 qts of Mercon V correct? I couldn't find any youtube videos addressing the replacement of the expedition cooling lines so I'm assuming its pretty straight forward.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you are replacing the lines from trans to cooler and back and doing a service at the same time you will probably need more than 12-13 qts as I would drain the TC as well,
if you plan on doing any towing a larger cooler wouldn't hurt.
This whole upgrade is soon on my list as well as Jmod

OP
OP
D

dogman

Reaction score
Well not doing any towing so I am planning on leaving the cooler alone. Right now removing the lines from the transmission is a bit of a challenge as there is not much room around there. I'll see about taking some pictures tomorrow.

OP
OP
D

dogman

Reaction score
Well the lines at the radiator connectors were corroded so badly ended up cutting the lines to remove them. So that then required a 27mm socket to remove the screw in connectors. waiting on replacements showing up hopefully I ordered the correct item. 7L3Z-7D273-A is supposed to be the new replacement part. Looking at the youtube videos I am still unclear on where to attach a 3/8ths ID hose to facilitate the draining of the old transmission fluid. I don't have any rubber hoses or hose clamps to remove. Well I'll keep looking for ideas and I'll try to post part numbers and costs when I get it all back together. Mean time anyone have any thoughts on which line by the radiator I might leave disconnected to pump out the old transmission fluid?

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
keep both lines disconnected at the radiator and aim them into a bucket, start the truck for 1-2 seconds, you will be able to see which line is pumping fluid, keep that line feeding into the empty bucket, put the other one into a container of all your new fluid to suck up as it pumps out the old

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I just found out that I need to replace my transmission cooling lines due to rust. Its an 06 xlt. Are there any other lines or parts that are prone to rust on the expedition? Basically its been a pretty solid vehicle. I'm going to replace the transmission filter while I'm at it. So it is basically around 12 or 13 qts of Mercon V correct? I couldn't find any youtube videos addressing the replacement of the expedition cooling lines so I'm assuming its pretty straight forward.

Another area known to rust on expeditions is the radiator core support. I have an 03 Eddy Bauer with this issue. In order to replace it the whole front had to come off. I've been living with it. When the fan starts to hit the radiator it has to be replaced. I hope yours isn't rusted.

OP
OP
D

dogman

Reaction score
Run into another issue. Quess I've read it elsewhere but Ford doesn't sell the quick connect fitting that goes in the radiator separately. You can only purchase a new radiator with the connectors. The one that Dorman shows doesn't look like the correct part. Anyone figured this out?

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been able to remove the fitting from the radiator to remove the rotted line, which wouldn't come out the conventional way using the plastic quick disconnect tool
that I had at the time. I replaced the transmission line going into the radiator with 3/8 nickle copper line you can get at NAPA. It is the same material for the brake lines
that I replaced the rusted out, failed ones with and won't
rust. When I removed the fitting from the radiator, no
coolant leaked out. I have since found a good metal line removal tool. An alternative to the push fitting to save
you from replacing the whole radiator is a compression fitting setup as offered by this company:
http://www.fitzall.com/T16996XR.php
It says for an Explorer but I believe it will work
for the Expy. Maybe you can contact them to
confirm that.
Stephen

OP
OP
D

dogman

Reaction score

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll probably need that if I don't replace my rusted radiator support soon. Reading how it could collapse into fan. That's the tool I purchased. Couldn't find the link. I had a plastic one from Mac Tools at first and it was a POS.