Sand driving - manual says 'avoid reducing tire pressures'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I've spent many years driving on Long Island beaches, which are generally rutted fine sand. It's pretty hard to get stuck with 12 - 20 lbs of air in your tires. If you don't reduce the pressure in fine sand, you WILL get stuck. I promise. You don't think people buy $300 compressors because they like playing with their tires in the dark, do you?

Tmg115

Reaction score
Ford will never say to air down your tires due to safety. Most people have no clue what they are doing off road. Most people will pop the bead or not air their tires back up when they are done. That's why Ford will never say lower your tire pressure. They don't want another Firestone issue again.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its probably because most don't have a compressor on hand, so when they get back on the road, they drive with them at low pressure at highway speeds......
I remember before you could go on the sand at a couple of beach's on Cape Cod you had to have a air tank, shovel, jack and a hunk of 2X12 to go under the jack. They checked for all of it before you entered.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guaranteed it’s because people try driving back to a gas station to air them back up.

VIAIR portable compressor. Best $200 I’ve spent on my truck.
But make sure you grab it by that handle . That sucker gets HOT

21869DC3-A4C9-43C0-91FB-1D848E6C2B9A.jpegE69E0DED-83E3-4482-B3AC-78FC26E49DC9.jpeg