Scratch Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
Got a decently sized scratch on the back drivers side door (2019 expy max) that looks like a key but hard to tell. The scratch (about a foot long) looks to have dug into the paint. This door looks to be more like fiberglass/plastic so unsure how to proceed. Is there a way to do a touch up? Really don’t want to do full body work.

any help would be appreciated!

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your insurance policy covers vandalism (comprehensive), take the vehicle to a paint shop, and have it repaired professionally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
Thanks, will check into that. Any home remedies anyone has experienced that work?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, will check into that. Any home remedies anyone has experienced that work?

Would need to see a pic of it.

Clear coat scratch/mar can often be polished out with wool pad and mile rubbing or polishing compound. Some need a little sanding with 3000 or 2500 wetsand then buff.
Too much sanding and you'll be in worse shape than you started with.

OP
OP
T

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
Would need to see a pic of it.

Clear coat scratch/mar can often be polished out with wool pad and mile rubbing or polishing compound. Some need a little sanding with 3000 or 2500 wetsand then buff.
Too much sanding and you'll be in worse shape than you started with.

here you go. Some is definitely on the surface and can be buffed out. The problem is the deeper part that actually took a layer out.

789B9CAD-6C28-4CEC-A0F9-D0933BF61F34.jpeg

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
here you go. Some is definitely on the surface and can be buffed out. The problem is the deeper part that actually took a layer out.

View attachment 34230
I think a lot of that is dirt catching in the edge and the crack of the clear coat and the depth. I would get some 2,000 or maybe start with 3000 sandpaper and wet sand it slightly right along the scratch. A good deal of that will totally disappear. There's a fine line between going all the way through and messing up but even if you sand through most of the clear coat you can still buff it out and build up some wax. If the end result now is your going to take it and have it sanded and spray it anyways then you saying through the clear coat and then having to have it sanded and sprayed anyways won't make any difference. That would clean up 85 to 90% though with some 2000 Grit and some buffing Compound on a wool pad and then I black waffle pad to finish.
I will also say that I know they tell you never supposed to use your fingers or hand to wet sand but when you're actually trying to lower the level a little bit and a small area it works quite well. I would basically use one finger to sand that just till I get the majority of that scratch gone.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got a decently sized scratch on the back drivers side door (2019 expy max) that looks like a key but hard to tell. The scratch (about a foot long) looks to have dug into the paint. This door looks to be more like fiberglass/plastic so unsure how to proceed. Is there a way to do a touch up? Really don’t want to do full body work.

any help would be appreciated!

No effing way I’d be taking sandpaper to a brand new vehicle. I say either take it to a pro or use some wax filler. Believe it or not I’ve had good luck with stuff like this:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/TW_...MI5dzw0JKo6QIVD47ICh1ByQo7EAQYAiABEgJyOfD_BwE

No. It doesn’t fix it. But it fills in the scratch. Once you get a couple of them, or a couple dings then take it to a good detail shop and have all of it taken care of all at once.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's exactly what a pro is going to do...which is why he said if the end result is a paint job why not try? So long as you aren't completely reckless and sand to bare metal or all over the entire panel it's not really going to change the scope of work for the shop as the blending will require a good sized area to be sprayed anyway. Could always snag up a battered panel at a junk yard for a few hicla to practice technique. If more people tried others might actually develop useful skills.

If you're just going to fill it w a bottled product just leave it alone, itll be a constant battle, and never be perfect, save the $ to have it done right.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're just going to fill it w a bottled product just leave it alone, itll be a constant battle, and never be perfect, save the $ to have it done right.

Literally my point. Except that a scratch stick is $15.

Fill it in. It’ll be good until you’re ready to bring it to a pro.

I don’t think most people are going to be comfortable taking sand paper to their paint.

Last edited: