Sea foam? Anyone had any luck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I've never used the spray, only the original... maybe the spray is a different concentration?

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never used the spray, only the original... maybe the spray is a different concentration?
The spray is the same stuff it’s just a spray to make it easier to put directly into the intake instead of trying to pour it into a vacuum hose or something.

anishemaya

Reaction score
Ok I'm not a mechanic & seldom have a clue about vehicles. Seafoam? What's the purpose?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
It's an additive that helps remove carbon. It can be used in the fuel tank, in the crank case oil, or you can add it slowly via a primary vacuum hose directly to the intake manifold.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sea Foam is like paint thinner for your engine. It works the same way. It is made of naptha, kerosene, and isopropanol alcohol. These liquids dissolve engine deposits (mostly carbon). It also can dissolve the varnish left behind by gasoline, and when placed in the fuel tank, acts as a gas dryer (absorbs water and carries it to the engine for disposal).

It works when used properly. It can also be used as an additive to stored gasoline as a stabilizer. Its been around for decades.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Again wouldn’t use it as Ford advises not to use any type of additive on EB engines, not sure about the tritons though. Might be ok for then

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sea foam sounds like a newer version of marvel mystery oil. We had a member a few months back that had a 3 valve 5.4, 2006 I think. Well not knowing how sensitive the cam phasers were on those motors, I'd suggested he put in about a half a small can to unstick what was possibly causing his top end ticking. Well all hell broke loose, he overdid my recommendations, and on top of the marvel, he dumped in 1/2 quart of atf. I had told him one or the other. Luckily he swapped out the cam solenoids at front of motor, along with an lof, and brought his racket back to normal. I don't usually recommend carbon burn off as it can dislodge chunks that can get stuck, or cause damage. If you do decide to sea foam or use any strong carbon burners, be sure to drop oil/ filter immediately after, as your dropping those chemicals into your oil. But you all knew that already.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Again wouldn’t use it as Ford advises not to use any type of additive on EB engines, not sure about the tritons though. Might be ok for then

Do you happen to know what the official, Ford approved method is for cleaning the valves and such on these EcoBoost motors? Is manual cleaning allowed/recommended (i.e. wire brush or media blasting)?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeroday