Sea foam? Anyone had any luck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Please Note: Sea Foam IS an issue on direct injection turbo engines like EcoBoost ( i.e. the injectors are in the combustion chamber).
There is an issue with turbo engines because the injectors are below the valves in the combustion chamber, no fuel washes over the valves to keep them clean and they can tend to get gunked up from the cooked blowby oil vapor that is forced into the crankcase by the turbo pressure.

Ford does not recommend any solvents be used to remove this gunk because the solvents burn at a much higher temperature and the high heat can damage the expensive turbo's bearings.

The best solution is to install a "Catch Can" to the PCV system to filter the blowby vapors and use full synthetic oil at regular changes.

The videos in this thread talk about a throttle body engine ( Fuel washes over the valves) and the EB is a direct injection... ( NO throttle body)

Hi Jim, I wanted to clarify that there is absolutely a throttle body on the Ecoboost motors.

There are 3 primary types of fuel injection:

Throttle Body: (one or two large nozzles which spray fuel) This had the closest functionality to a carburetor.
Multi Port: In either sequential, or bank injected this is the practice of delivering atomized fuel per cylinder in the intake port of the manifold immediately before the intake valves.
Direct Injection: delivers atomized fuel at a extremely high pressure directly into the combustion chamber.

I think you were referring to Throttle Body injection which has pretty much gone the way of carburetors.

The Throttle body itself is the component which contains the throttle plate actuated when the accelerator is pushed. This is very much a component on the ecoboost engines.

Not trying to be critical, just wanted to avoid any confusion based on the varied experience levels present in the forum!

Jarheadmatt

Reaction score
I did add about 8 ounces on mine about a week before an oil change and did the intake spray before the throttle plate. There are some good before and after videos on the spray and oil additive. I also had a code that required a new EGR and DPFE. Unsure what part made the difference, but my fuel mileage is substantially better as well as power especially on the bottom end. Over 250k and runs great.

I have a feeling a bit of it was the seafoam as it really works on the built up deposits from what I have seen in the videos.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also of note, the reasons for not using SeaFoam on a direct-injected EcoBoost are valid when using it through the fuel system. When you do the intake spray it won't have the same issues, at least not the "doesn't touch the valves" issue. It may still have the temperature issues, I don't know. SeaFoam seems to think it's safe.

anishemaya

Reaction score
Again showing my ignorance but what is Ecoboost throttle body etc? And how do I know what my truck has?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Again showing my ignorance but what is Ecoboost throttle body etc? And how do I know what my truck has?

Welcome to the forum!

This is a great place to learn gobs of information from real world DIY, and pros alike. It's easy to get overwhelmed and potentially do damage to expensive components if you are unfamiliar with the functional process of an engine. If you plan on conducting any work on your truck yourself, I recommend that you pick up the proper repair manual.

Here is a decent one that will see you through most DIY repairs as well as some more technically difficult repairs:

https://haynes.com/en-us/ford/expedition/1997-2017

If you ever get stuck or are looking for advice, ask away, we're happy to help!

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Not sure what your question is.

Every fuel injected engine has a throttle body, with or without turbocharging.