Service Engine Soon light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djhl

Reaction score
Am recent owner of 2002 LXT w/ 5.4l. Bought car with very low mileage (less than 50000mi). When hit 50500 got "service engine soon light. Per owners manual: verified not out of fuel, checked fuel cap, put some 89 oct gas in, and just did three drive cycles (can't go over 50 mph here). Light still on. Any ideas why? I assume "soon" does not mean "immediately".

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Service Engine Soon" light indicates trouble code(s) have been set. Is that why you are concerned with fuel issues?
Any other codes showing?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Service engine light can be a myriad of things. Plug into data port and report back with your stored codes.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

djhl

Reaction score
Don't understand "error codes". This is only light on on dash. Are these error codes readable from some other source. My "concern" with fuel, was just stating I followed what to do per the owners manual if/when this light comes on.

OP
OP
D

djhl

Reaction score
Sorry to sound so ignorant. What/where is "data port", and what do I plug into it with? Do I have to buy something?

Plati

Reaction score
Yeah. I found out within the past year ... vehicle has OBD2 port. Buy a cheap bluetooth OBD2 like BAFX and load an app like TorqueLite on yer phone. Get codes ... Do homework ... google it. Can you say YouTube? I knew you could.

$50 says its a misfire or vacuum leak!

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to sound so ignorant. What/where is "data port", and what do I plug into it with? Do I have to buy something?

Take the vehicle to an AutoZone store, and they will read the codes for FREE. If AutoZone is not in your area, many auto stores provide the same service. Call around and ask if they provide FREE code reading service.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The obd2 port is right by your right knee, under dash. Like Don said take it to any of the parts stores, or repair shops. They check for free. Any time you've got a light lit up, always good to know what's going on. Our vehicles use a computer that stores trouble codes on pretty much everything going on with vehicle.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Take it to a shop if you are not inclined, to DIY repairs. Read the owners manual. The SES light blinks if serious fault is detected. If just lit, it is emissions. If you drive with a misfire, you may destroy your catalytic convertors.