Shift Solenoid Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoos95

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to properly change a shift solenoid in a 6R75 transmission? Do I need to remove the valve body and then take off the black plastic piece?

A07A38A1-10C6-4B30-9B23-DBAA827F86BD.jpeg 00B99D54-6871-474E-9DC3-51D80D0F1A14.jpeg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 6R75 decided to stop locking up the TC and is now throwing a wrench on the dash and a P0741 (TC clutch stuck off). My mechanic is thinking it is rebuild time.....this kind of stinks it shifts fine....

I see I can get a 6R75 out of a totaled out expy for under a grand from keystone crash parts/ LKQ with 80k miles on it......not sure I want to sink thousands into an ‘07 so that may be a better route than a rebuilt unit. They also warranty the used part if it defective. Further diagnosis will be performed later but it’s not looking favorable for this trans.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t see any videos on solenoid removal for these transmissions online

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 6R75 decided to stop locking up the TC and is now throwing a wrench on the dash and a P0741 (TC clutch stuck off). My mechanic is thinking it is rebuild time.....this kind of stinks it shifts fine....

I see I can get a 6R75 out of a totaled out expy for under a grand from keystone crash parts/ LKQ with 80k miles on it......not sure I want to sink thousands into an ‘07 so that may be a better route than a rebuilt unit. They also warranty the used part if it defective. Further diagnosis will be performed later but it’s not looking favorable for this trans.

Sorry to derail the thread but man you are having some bad luck with your new to you Expy.

The old mechanic, Scotty Kilmer, I listen to on Youtube says if the transmission guy says you need a rebuild on an older high mileage vehicle and it's still shifting fine just keep driving it. Why pay big money on a rebuild now, wait for it to fail, then rebuild or replace. Who knows you might get a couple more years out of it.

This is what worries me about Expeditions. They remind of the old Jeep Cherokees (not grand) and Wranglers. They keep on running but "nickel and dime" you to death. I was always having to repair something on them. Once I went to Toyota trucks/suvs and Honda cars that disappeared in my experience.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told my vehicle will not pass NYS inspection with this code when it comes due, they cannot pass it for smog test with wrench and P0741 since it slightly reduces fuel economy....thanks NY!

I would have thought it would present more odd traits with this code when I got it read. Really the only symptom I have is the RPM’s are slightly higher at highway speeds, other than that it drives normal. Shifts smooth and solid thru all gears with no slipping or noises. I’ve never heard of a 6R75 failing with 140k on it..... Ive also been told the transmission shops won’t just replace a TC and will refuse to do anything but a complete overhaul.

OP, how did you determine you had an issue with a shift solenoid? It’s odd to me there isn’t much online for such a common trans.

Last edited: