shifting vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ks73

Reaction score
Hi,

Mine is a 2004, 5.4 V8 4x4 with 117000 kms.

I noticed a few days ago that whenever teh gear shifts between teh top 2 gears more so on teh down shift. The vibration is like when you go over a small patch of rough road or catapiller tracks for a second or so.

anyone has Any idea why this happens. Thanks in advance.

KenB

Reaction score
Same problem

I have a 2000 XLT 4X4 with 92000 miles. Same issue, when shifting into higher gears, it sometimes feels like I'm driving on rumble strip on the side of the road. Vibration only seems to last about a second. Anyone know what the problem might be?

Last edited:

IL67BP

Reaction score
I also have the same problem. as far as I remember it always happens in a high gear at a lower rpm just above or about the same rpm as it would be "hunting" for gears

IL67BP

Reaction score
Mine is a 2000 4x4 4.6 120000. I have 35" tires since 100000 which could possibly make it worse since the trans may be shifting at the wrong point now? Not sure but I believe it was happening before the tires also

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
My guess would be converter shudder.

IL67BP

Reaction score
Torque converter shudder.. Jeez pain of a fix. And I'm sure expensive to get fixed.. My brothers mountaineer had converter problems and he ended up sometimes losing power up to 40mph. I don't think he had the vibration though. What do you think of how much longer it will last or is it just an annoyance? Because I can deal with that

WCAWI

Reaction score
Do a complete trans filter and flush. This fixes the problems many times.

IL67BP

Reaction score
Thing tthat scares me about the flush is the fact that so many people have. Horror stories or don't recommend them. These opinions come from people with all different kinds of cars. Do you think just a fluid and filter change would help?