Shopping for an Expedition - need help with which year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zack Lancaster

Reaction score
We are shopping for Expeditions and would like to hear from forum members if the price delta between a 2017 and 2018 would be worth the extra money, or not AND if the difference in changes is something worth seriously considering.

In a nut shell: do we suck it up and pay the 50-60k for a 2018 or can we get away with a 2015-2017 for less - are the changes in the 2018 worth the money.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think 2017 was the first year of the gen 2 ecoboost engines. @16plati can you confirm?
2018. 10 speeds are the gen 2s. 15-17 share same gen 1 EB as the 2011-2014 f150s. A lot of performance and suspension parts are interchangeable between ours and the f150s

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We are shopping for Expeditions and would like to hear from forum members if the price delta between a 2017 and 2018 would be worth the extra money, or not AND if the difference in changes is something worth seriously considering.

In a nut shell: do we suck it up and pay the 50-60k for a 2018 or can we get away with a 2015-2017 for less - are the changes in the 2018 worth the money.
I hate the 4th gen expeditions, as many of the ppl here know, but FWIW, 10 speed gen2s performance wise are better. They are tuned to punch out roughly 10% more HP depending on what trim level you get. The have both port and direct fuel injection so the issue with gunking up the valves in the 2018+ is gone. Mileage seems to better with 10spd also. Seems to be that there are more companies making aftermarket parts for the 2018+s.

I do not like the new body styles unless it’s black, max edition, and lifted. It does not appeal to me the way the 3rd gens do. You get slightly more room in the max compared to EL from 15-17. Honestly, it’s gonna be personal preference. But I guarantee if you test drive a 15-17 and then sit in a 2018, 9/10 ppl will probably buy the 18

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018. 10 speeds are the gen 2s. 15-17 share same gen 1 EB as the 2011-2014 f150s. A lot of performance and suspension parts are interchangeable between ours and the f150s
Same engine was available in the Explorers 2013-19. Different transmission though.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im sure the 4th gen explorers used the first gen ecoboost. After driving the refreshed 3rd gens and owning a 4th gen, to me the 4th gen is well worth the pricefor improved space, efficiency, and comfort. However if interior space and feel doesnt bother you, the 3rd gens are very respectable trucks that drive very well.

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im sure the 4th gen explorers used the first gen ecoboost. After driving the refreshed 3rd gens and owning a 4th gen, to me the 4th gen is well worth the pricefor improved space, efficiency, and comfort. However if interior space and feel doesnt bother you, the 3rd gens are very respectable trucks that drive very well.
Gen 1 ecoboost was only introduced on the Explorer in 2013 (not sure if PIUs had it earlier). 5th gen started in 2011.
It was also used in the latest gen Flex - I think even from 2009 onwards - and I'm pretty sure it was in the Taurus too (civ and police).
A widely used engine and quite sturdy, especially the NA version (from what I understand).

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a 2018 FX4 Max while my twin brother just replaced his wife's 2003 Limited with a lightly used 2017 SWB 4x2 Limited. I'll be in for about $30k more than him. Why'd we choose differently? Is there any one feature on the 2018s that's worth the $30k premium*? No. But there's a bunch of stuff that's worth a little bit more and which really would be nice to have. Add them all up and are they worth $30k? Depends on whether or not you have the $30k.

Or put another way, you can save $30k, but what do you have to give up? Locking rear differential, 2" of ground clearance, skid plates, 10speed transmission (we have a 6000lb GVWR travel trailer), 50 ft-lbs of torque, panoramic sunroof, tip and slide seats*, auto-cruise control with stop and start, transmission temperature monitor, terrain control system from the raptor, a nicer interior, a truck that doesn't already look dated (even if it doesn't look as "tough"), etc, etc.

Sure some of that can be remedied via aftermarket parts, but then you've got to source them and find time to install them (or pay even more money to have them installed) and maybe you just voided the warranty with that lift and, and, and, well, now you didn't really save the full $30k, you put yourself through a whole bunch of unnecessary hassles, and you still didn't get everything you wanted.

Additionally, we both ended up with Expeditions, but we were cross shopping very different vehicles. He was cross shopping 3rd and 4th gen Expeditions with the Armada as his dark horse candidate. I was cross shopping the Z71 Suburban**, the Yukon XL Denali and the new Discovery.

With this in mind, I strongly suspect the returning Expedition shoppers are going with the Gen 3 leftovers while the Gen 4 is poaching a bunch of people who would've otherwise

*Ok. Yes, the tip and slide seats are probably worth the $30k.
**6000lb towing capacity with the off road package? Really? And the skid plates are crap!

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I own a 17 and just had a 19 rental for 2 weeks. The interior of the 19 is better although you feel like you are sitting lower in it and it has terrible sight lines but they have available electronic remedies for that in the higher trim levels. The 10 speed transmission with different modes is very good. The brakes did feel tighter, more responsive but the 17s are fine even when I tow. I do like the dual fuel delivery system on the newer model engine to wash carbon off the back of the valves, although there are F150s with the ecoboost motor with over 200 and even 300 thousand miles without catch cans, running fine with regular maintenance. I felt the 19 handled a little better but not $30k better. Also none of my neighbors or co-workers noticed I was driving a different SUV. One even commented that I finally changed my license plates to NY. He didn't notice it was different vehicle. Both the rental & mine are black extended length Expeditions.

You can get low mileage 15 to 17s cheap and even used 18s are beginning to drop in value. Expeditions don't hold their value well in the used market which is great for guys like me that buy used.

Other questions. How long are you going to keep it? If you get new vehicles every 3 years buy used or lease a new one. If you keep it 10 to 12 years buy whatever you want.

If you are frugal the 15 to 17s are a bargain right now but provide a great vehicle just not all the new stuff.

Good luck.

PS there is another thread showing 18 Expedition Max XL (the most basic trim, you can't even find information on them at Ford's site) can be had with 1,000 miles or so on them for in the $30k range for a MAX with 4x4 & they come standard with the Max towing package. They do not come with a 3rd row seat.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Z

Zack Lancaster

Reaction score
hey guys, thanks for all your replies. We are looking for a very long term vehicle that we plan to use a ton - we are not leasing. We have 5 kids, we camp, we are buying a camper (a biggin), I do a lot of stuff around the house (will be filling this sucker up a lot) and I appreciate the finer things.. so I think I am going with a 2018 Platinum. I am going to see a 2018 Platinum with 25k miles - dealer is asking $58k for it.

I looked at Navigators for 5 hot seconds - gorgeous inside, but subjecting that kind of elegance to my 5 kids feels criminal.. and so does the payment. :anitoof: