Short oil life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But your answer may be in my post mquik see the part that says “5,000 miles or 180 days”, at least for a 2007.....

It restarts the timer as soon as you change the oil, whether mileage or not.

OP
OP
mquick5

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I've heard ... No sensor that measures oil lubricosity. Its an algorithm (translation for Moose = Formula). Probably takes into account the number of milliseconds the engine has run as well as temperature, speed, whatever metric the computers can record.

This is one of those situations where the owner says ... Looks clean, has X miles, has X months ... All good! F that annoying notice that keeps popping up, I'll reset it

I'd copy and paste the link if I knew how. But you can Google "understanding ford IOLM" to learn more if desired.

Not running Kendall GT-1 Molybdnem Titanium blend are you?
Well if it's all based off a algorithm, then the mathematicians at Ford suck compared to Chevys.

And I used Ford synthetic blend oil. I will keep a eye on the oil level and color, but probably will not change it at 1500 miles. Also will be adding the oil separator as soon as I get it, weather permitting. I dont see this helping extending the oil% life on the display, but will help keep the engine cleaner.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You didn't mention if you bought your truck new but I'd suggest that if it had some decent prior mileage and it wasn't changed often, then it's possible that you are still seeing the effect of that as the accumulated stuff (****) gets swept up and removed. The article Stamp posted would also seem to support that.

Often sellers will reset the oil-life w/o actually changing it; we all know why.

There's also a chance that it's gone rogue....maybe resetting will cause it to act right?

jeff

OP
OP
mquick5

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Purchase truck used from a Ford dealer, it was a certified pre-owned vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From pg 439 in our owner's manual.

"Your vehicle is equipped with the
Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor system, which
displays a message in the information
display at the proper oil change interval.
This interval may be up to one year or
10000 miles (16000 kilometers)."

pg 440
"If your information display resets
prematurely or becomes inoperative, you
should perform the oil change interval at
six months or 5000 miles (8000
kilometers) from your last oil change.
Never exceed one year or 10000 miles
(16000 kilometers) between oil change
intervals."

Pg442
NORMAL SCHEDULED
MAINTENANCE

Your vehicle is equipped with an Intelligent
Oil-Life Monitor that determines when you
should change the engine oil based on how
your vehicle is used. By using several
important factors in its calculations, the
monitor helps reduce the cost of owning
your vehicle and reduces environmental
waste at the same time.

This means you do not have to remember
to change the oil on a mileage-based
schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when
an oil change is due by displaying a
message in the information display.
The following table provides examples of
vehicle use and its impact on oil change
intervals. It is a guideline only. Actual oil
change intervals depend on several factors
and generally decrease with severity of
use.

Table Pg 443:
7500-10,000 miles Normal
Normal commuting with highway driving
No, or moderate, load or towing
Flat to moderately hilly roads
No extended idling

5,000-7,499 Severe
Moderate to heavy load or towing
Mountainous or off-road conditions
Extended idling
Extended hot or cold operation

3,000-4999 Extreme
Maximum load or towing
Extreme hot or cold operation

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I check my oil often. I've found the monitor to be accurate on my Expy. I have changed around 7,500 miles. The level was good and the color was going dark but not bad. I'm using Fords synthetic blend.

I've found the oil monitor systems in a few of my vehicles to be good and I use it as a reference.

Ford engineers have designed these systems. I hope they know more about these motors than I do.

Also I idle very little. Only if I have to remove snow or scrape ice off the windows.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t get the oil change required message often because I generally change it early and reset. I do 3,000 mile oil changes because I use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and Ford filters. Most of you probably use full synthetic with synthetic filters that can go longer intervals. I’m not pushing my dino oil blend that far.

I have no interest in switching to a full synthetic approaching 200k miles.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
IMG_3902[1].JPG IMG_3904[1].JPG

Service Computers have been around for a while.

My two personal cars. The Ford (10,000 mile or 1 year service interval) will be right about 6000 miles on the current oil change and right about 12 months time. Not sure how the algorithm works in the Ford or the Honda (lower photo) which has no mileage mileage interval, only what Honda calls the Maintenance Minder or 12 months for an oil change and is due for time-based service in May. Not many miles on the car the past year.

Plati

Reaction score
Since the IOLM is based on an algorithm ... Using measured parameters from the Expys sensors and counters ... Its possible that one or more of the sensors has malfunctioned.

The software program that does the calculations could have been corrupted also. Less likely but possible. All it takes is an particle from the sun to flip a bit and its a different program / algorithm. Or the temporary storage location that keeps a running tab of oil life.

Reset it, run it again, and if you get the same results ... Dig into it. Most likely a one time deal that will end up as big a mystery as a strange switch on the dashboard.

Someone with more knowledge and tools could probably see if there's any malfunctioning sensors. You might also end up with another unexplained issue (code) that could be correlated to this.

Last edited: