Short oil life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mquick5

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From my manual.

But I think I figured out the issue. this vehicle is mainly used only in town, because I use the Suburban now for towing on freeway trips. The Expedition seldom sees the freeway. Over the holiday we went and picked up the father-in-law. 140 mile trip, and oil percentage only dropped 1%. So if this was all freeway mileage on the Expedition I would get around 14,000 miles before needing an oil change!9b0f322c93eb32032063e32974eb8440.jpg

Sent from my house using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
mquick5

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We'll this time the truck went 3,426 miles from Jan 4th until Sept 10th. Also the dealer advised me that my rear break pads were down to 3mm and in desperate need of changing. They quoted me $500 at which I declined. I've herd Ford uses a special tool to open the calipers? Well they must of went back to a standard C-clamp at least that worked for me. I changed them myself today and I went with the Auto zone dura last gold for $59.99 + tax. The breaks were worn but I wouldn't of used the word desperate! Also whats with Ford not using a warning scrapper like most others?

OP
OP
mquick5

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We'll this time the truck went 3,426 miles from Jan 4th until Sept 10th. Also the dealer advised me that my rear break pads were down to 3mm and in desperate need of changing. They quoted me $500 at which I declined. I've herd Ford uses a special tool to open the calipers? Well they must of went back to a standard C-clamp at least that worked for me. I changed them myself today and I went with the Auto zone dura last gold for $59.99 + tax. The breaks were worn but I wouldn't of used the word desperate! Also whats with Ford not using a warning scrapper like most others?
Photo of old pads.99f9fc2d542c63726f673e9b71ed1024.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not all brakes have the squealer feature and I run my brakes until I hear a faint metal to metal sound which my ears are tuned in to and I have the shoes already here so no delay. Those shoes above would last me many thousands of miles more. Dealer rip off with brake jobs.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Not all brakes have the squealer feature and I run my brakes until I hear a faint metal to metal sound which my ears are tuned in to and I have the shoes already here so no delay. Those shoes above would last me many thousands of miles more. Dealer rip off with brake jobs.[/QUOTe
I have ran pads down. I then had caliper pistons that drag or don't release,with the new pads. In the northeast corrosion is a problem. If the exposed part of the steel piston, gets any roughness they drag. I have replaced both front calipers twice and both rears. Ford uses phenolic pistons on some new vehicles now. They are steel hard plastic.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have ran pads down. I then had caliper pistons that drag or don't release,with the new pads. In the northeast corrosion is a problem. If the exposed part of the steel piston, gets any roughness they drag. I have replaced both front calipers twice and both rears. Ford uses phenolic pistons on some new vehicles now. They are steel hard plastic.
Being from California and Oregon all my life I never had any of those problems.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not all brakes have the squealer feature and I run my brakes until I hear a faint metal to metal sound which my ears are tuned in to and I have the shoes already here so no delay. Those shoes above would last me many thousands of miles more. Dealer rip off with brake jobs.
That's like hanging over a cliff with a old rope. It will hold 1 more time till it doesn't. But with the brakes you are not just putting yourself on the line but everyone around you. "You go till you hear metal on metal" that is already to late. Don't believe me see how far it takes you to stop from 45mph now and do it again when you hear your "faint metal to metal sound". My guess would be more than 4X to 5X the distance.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's like hanging over a cliff with a old rope. It will hold 1 more time till it doesn't. But with the brakes you are not just putting yourself on the line but everyone around you. "You go till you hear metal on metal" that is already to late. Don't believe me see how far it takes you to stop from 45mph now and do it again when you hear your "faint metal to metal sound". My guess would be more than 4X to 5X the distance.
No totally wrong, I have been doing that since the sixties on my 50 plus vehicles and it has worked flawlessly with no downsides whatsoever. No longer stopping, nothing, so you are just assuming.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No totally wrong, I have been doing that since the sixties on my 50 plus vehicles and it has worked flawlessly with no downsides whatsoever. No longer stopping, nothing, so you are just assuming.

Cool story Bro, got anything non-fiction?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool story Bro, got anything non-fiction?
You never tried my method but you know all about it. I am guessing you aren't able to detect 1% metal to metal and you are one of those novices that freaks out about every little thing because it might be catastrophic..........lol