Shorter Wheel Base

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayane Arnold

Reaction score
I have the 17 Expy Limited with the shorter wheel base. Based on what I have researched, I need to keep the travel trailer under 27'

My question is - should this 27' include the tongue/hitch or just the box?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hitch included. The further back the trailer side profile extends, the more of lever it is, and the lateral motion is applied to the the ball.

OP
OP
R

Rayane Arnold

Reaction score
Hitch included. The further back the trailer side profile extends, the more of lever it is, and the lateral motion is applied to the the ball.

Thank you! I'll refine my search. Now trying to determine if the advertised length on manufacturer sites is box length or bumper to hitch

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It depends on the camper maker. for instance I have a KZ Sportsman 301BHSS. The first two numbers are the "box" length, 30'. The second number is how many slides it has, 1 . BH = bunkhouse. SS = Showstopper. My TT is closer to 34' total length hitch to bumper. I pulled this camper with my 2009 Expedition, the non EL version and it did Ok. My current Expy is a Max and I have to say it is more stable than the shorter Expy was. IMO weight is much more a factor than length. I would not hesitate to pull a camper this size with either Expy.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also tow with a standard length 2018 XLT - my trailer is a 27' total length. The wheelbase does make a difference, but in my opinion it's minor. The hitch is actually fairly close to the rear wheels on these vehicles, compared to say a pickup, and way less than it was on our '78 Grand Marquis! So the lever is a bit smaller which makes the side-to-side leverage of the trailer smaller as well. I'm not going to do the match but I can say that if everything is set up right (WD primarily, hitch weight as well) I don't experience significant sway on my setup.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting on the 27 foot rule... where did this come from, is it specific, or just determined by folks here to be the safest setup?

There is no real engineering rule that I have seen. A few years ago, the RV industry put some rule out there. I think (don’t quote me) that is was like for the first 100-110 inch wheel base can support a 20’ trailer and then an additional foot of trailer for each additional 3-4 inches of wheel base. Again, trying to remember from memory and I don’t feel like looking it up (just stopped in to take a break from work).

However, there are other factors that really need to be taken into consideration like the distance of rear axle to hitch, TV stance (height:width ratio), tires, etc. that may have a greater impact on the performance of the handling of a trailer.

Personally, I think a 25 foot with a SWB and 27 with a Max/EL Expedition is pushing its limits. Granted, my next trailer will be a 25’ one being towed by a SWB Expy. However, that is what I feel comfortable towing. I take it slow and/or pull off is the conditions get bad. I would rather piss off a bunch of people behind me than die or kill someone. That is my opinion and how I handle situations when driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think there's a hard and fast rule. I tow 33' feet with my 2017 EL and it pulls fine.