Should I do a conversion or just add spacers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonmcc68

Reaction score
I have a 2006 XP with all wheel airbags. If I want to put 37's on it to do some decent trail riding and off-roading, should I do a conversion or will the spacers and airbags be strong enough for that and give me enough articulation? Thanks for any input.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think you can fit 37's (or even 35"s stock, afair on that setup... not even for street use with minimal suspension travel, much less for trails & aiming for "articulation"), and you dont explain what spacers you plan to use and why you think that would help

OP
OP
jasonmcc68

jasonmcc68

Reaction score
Well thank you for responding and letting me know what I did wrong. OK more details, possibly more clear :).

I am running a stock truck, 4 wheel airbags. In doing research here, I have found that a lot of people add spacers (http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/lift-options-for04-eb.31425/) to lift their trucks and get 35" tires on them. Some then put 2" body lift, which I think will allow 37's. If all that is in fact true, will it be as sufficient as doing a coil-over conversion and the spacers and body lift? I hope that helps explain my question. Thanks for any help.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also you dont get articulation with sway bars attached, among other things...

Trail mods and street mods are quite different.

And, afaik, 37"s are more for driving through deep muck (or just posing) than for that kind of thing

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 3.5/2.5 strut spacer lift I'm currently running 35's and I'm pretty sure I could run 37's in the front but the rear will probably scrub the left side bottom rocker.
But they may fit fine n the rear by just cutting back that area some.
Or u could do the body lift and possibly clear in the rear without any cutting or trimming.
I'm going to do the body lift soon .

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jasonmcc68

jasonmcc68

Reaction score
Thanks Scoot, exactly what I wanted to know. After talking to a 4x4 shop I am probably going to do a conversion and try 37's. Will let everyone know how it goes.

OP
OP
jasonmcc68

jasonmcc68

Reaction score
View media item 6587Just got new moog upper control arms and ball joints, did the coil-over conversion, added 2" spacers and 33" Trail Grapplers. I think it looks ok, but I am already planning to re-gear and get 35's when these run down. I need more clearance and I just think the 35's are the right size for this size truck.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If u did the 3/2 spacer lift u can run 35's
On the stock gears I did for a year b4 I did the gear change.
But if u do the 35's b4 the gears then avoid interstates as your rig will struggle to maintain 60 plus MPH speed's.
I'm still going to do the 3" body lift this summer
So that I can run 38's but that would be MAX that I could run with the 4.56 gears.
And then hopefully do the F-150 front suspension conversion in the front.
And a Straight axle Swap n the rear.

U got any pics of your rig

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk