Should I get extended warranty on my new-to-me 2017 Limited?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billerbeck

Reaction score
If you want a warranty, check Lombard Ford, as ManUp suggested. They sell Ford Manufacturer's warranties on line at very good prices, and you can check the agreements and see what is covered in each plan. None will cost you $3500.
Trainmaster, is this Lombard Ford in Winsted CT that you are referring to? I couldn't find extended warranties on their website. Could you help? Thanks.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score

Shop around them all for the best price. A bunch of places mentioned in this thread. Lombard's site has the agreements and documents so you can see what each type warranty specifically covers and what it doesn't.

billerbeck

Reaction score
Trainmaster, never mind . . . I answered my own question. The extended warranty website is www.lombardwarrantys.com, which is different from their dealership website (www.lombardford.com). Great prices by the way . . . at least as compared to the selling dealer. If you go with Lombard for a warranty, ask for Mike . . . very knowledgeable and gave me an additional discount code as well.

ringojbr

Reaction score
I have a 2017 limited with 39,000 miles and one of the rear struts is leaking. I have a Ford Premium extended services plan that states it covers McPherson type struts but not shocks.
The rears on mine look like struts. But Ford says they call them shocks and are not covered by the ESP. Every non Ford parts supplier calls the struts but Ford does not. Even the parts guy at the Ford dealer says they are struts. But the part is listed as a shock. I believe Ford is purposely using weasel words to avoid covering the warranty.
So do we have rear struts or shocks on our Expediton and has anyone had this issue?

georgeraft

Reaction score
Just bought my 3rd extended warranty on my 2010 Eddie Bauer Ford Expedition. I have 31,000 miles on the vehicle. Paid $3000 for 5 year/30,000 bumper to bumper with $100 deductible, bought it from the same dealer that I bought the vehicle from. These days with labor costs being what they are you could eat up that money on one major repair.

Nike2449

Reaction score
I did, used it for ball joint replacement twice and then a complete transmission rebuild and water pump replacement.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a new '17 Limited in '18.

With 41,000 miles I have had very few issues with it, nothing power train-related, all of them minor.

I had an extended warranty once on a big block marine engine that I learned was a waste of $ because it only covered internal components lubricated with oil. How often do parts like that fail?

18MaxLimited

Reaction score
I would too. I've gone with this party warranties with all of the used cars that I bought over the years. I am very picky in the type and condition when I buy used car but you cannot tell years down the road that anything won't fail. Ford or any other manufacture quality aside, I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't think they were good - they're all man made and may have flaws/failures. I can tell you from past experiences short of a BMW CPO warranty, I've had best service thru the top tier Endurance warranty. CarMax also has good warranties. I think paid approx 3800 for 7yr/120k miles on our current 2018 Max Limited. Had similar plans on our previous 2012 Touareg TDI and 2018 Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription. On our current expy, we would've had to pay 2250 for AC condenser just 11 months after we got the warranty.
That said, I will say AVOID any warranty that issues you a contract with American Auto Shield or Car Sheild. Do your homework and find out who will service/administrator because companies like CarChex will sell you the warranty and then pass it on to another like American Auto Shield. They will either not approve repairs, ask you to authorize diagnosis and only pay for parts of the service when they finally find underlying problem, or cover the repair but at lower than market price leaving you to pay for difference, in addition to the agreed deductible. Ask me how I know...
Issues with things not covered under warranty were either due to the unlucky pick of the wrong company or not getting the highest all-inclusive plan

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
So do we have rear struts or shocks on our Expediton and has anyone had this issue?
Third Generation Expeditions have shock absorbers, not McPherson struts. They are different things. I believe a strut is a part of the structural geometry of the suspension. A shock is added to the structure that would be complete without it.

Last edited: