Should I switch to 0-20 this winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Can get down to zero or below but my truck sleeps in the garage and I don’t drive every day but do travel sometimes. I use 5-30 synthetic now but wondering if anyone changes?

Thanks!

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 0 would help it flow better when the motor is cold.

0-30 would be ideal in my opinion.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been driving since 1976. I used 10W-40 year round. That was the standard oil in those days. For several years I've used 10W-30 synthetic mostly. The only thing I consistently use 5W-20 in is my wife's Outlander.

Increased wear when it's cold? Not sure about that. My 86 IROC has 186,000 miles on the odometer. It's had 10W-40 in it year round. Fires right up, oil pressure is up before I get my seat belt fastened.

The Cherokee Sport had 133,000 miles on it when we sold it last month. Nothing but 10W-30 or 10W-40 since 2000 when we bought it new. Ran about 40 PSI oil pressure going down the road and 30 at idle when hot. Oh, synthetic oil only - Mobil 1.

I can remember days in the WV mountains when it was -20 F in the morning. The little Pontiac would fire right up even when the ATF in the borg warner 5 speed was so cold that the car would bump/jump (with the transmission in neutral) when I first let the clutch out. It would temporarily drag the fast idle speed down till the input shaft was turning freely. 10W-40 Gulf oil. It had 120,000 miles on it when the body was rusted so bad I had to park it. Still ran like a top though.

Long way to say that winter time oil has been no different, for me, than summer time oil.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can get down to zero or below but my truck sleeps in the garage and I don’t drive every day but do travel sometimes. I use 5-30 synthetic now but wondering if anyone changes?

Thanks!

Follow the recommendations for oil viscosity that are listed in your vehicle owner’s manual.