Shudder/Vibration Low speed turn, power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally got it back from the dealer and the rear end grinding is no more. They replaced the clutch pack in the rear differential. this is the limited slip components from what I've read and happens fairly often. Under warranty - $0!

How long did they work on your Expy? And what did you describe to them for the problem/issue? Thanks.

MyExpedition2016

Reaction score
It was about a day. I gave it to them over Thanksgiving so not real sure how long the repair took. I ended up driving with a mechanic and replicating the issue with him sitting in it with me. Then he knew right away the issue.

Don Plata

Reaction score
Finally got it back from the dealer and the rear end grinding is no more. They replaced the clutch pack in the rear differential. this is the limited slip components from what I've read and happens fairly often. Under warranty - $0!
What was your mileage when you took it in and they covered it?

Don Plata

Reaction score
I've researched this symptom on several Forums.

To start, I'm going to change the fluid in the rearend and add the required Friction Modifier for the limited-slip. I'll see what effect this has on the shudder.

Please post back what the dealer tells you on Monday.

Maybe between the two of us we can help determine what's going on :)

Thanks.
Did changing the fluid and adding the Friction Modifier help?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like they replaced the diff clutches under warranty.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For guys having this issue out of warranty. Had a E350 with 70,000 miles with a posi. When exiting the freeway and coming to a stop and turning when starting out woud get a shudder. Added the friction modifier and eliminated the problem. Truck had over 300,000 miles on it the last i heard from guy I sold it to.

MyExpedition2016

Reaction score
Well after 3 weeks at the dealer they finally are saying they will go ahead and replace the steering gear. Ford finally gave them approval. I hope to have it back sometime next week and hope this solves this horrible steering defect.

rich6655

Reaction score
Thank you all for posting all this information. I had the same symptoms at 71k. Shuddering while at low speeds both left and right. I went ahead and changed out the oil on the rear axle and used full synthetic and added a Ford XL-3 friction enhancer and after 100 miles the shuddering went away. Saved a trip to the dealer and a $190 service fee just to look at the truck.

Thanks to all on this thread!!!