Shutting off EGR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexhozee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was wondering....

How would shutting off the EGR system effect my 5.4 engine?
By shutting off I mean closing the inlet on the TB?
Some say it would be better but how about the fault codes etc. when the EGR is clogged?

Inlet cl9osed or clogged EGR, the same right?

Asking this because I still have a problem, replaced DPFE, did better. But now sometimes with cold and always with hot engine it stumbles when asking power.
cruising in overdrive is like driving offroad!
No faultcodes.

Interceptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some say it would be better but how about the fault codes etc. when the EGR is clogged?

Right off the bat your ECM will start throwing a P0401 (Insufficient EGR flow) with a subsequent CEL (Check Engine Light). I don't know enough about tuners to know if you can "tune out" anything on the emissions side. I've heard where a few people have "tuned out" their oxygen sensors.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can turn off the CEL for the EGR in a custom tune. The Lightning guys do it all the time since they take off the entire system to clean up the looks of the engine bay. However, a custom tune isn't a cheap alternative just for the EGR removal. Usually it is done when the engine re-mapping is also performed for performance gains.