Shuts off when coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000eddibour

Reaction score
I just bought a 2000 ford expedition ran good when I check it out on my way home the truck shut off on me a couple time only when stoping or coming to a stop there is a whistle sound conning from engine bay no engine light but abs is on idles good and stays running only shuts off when coming to a complet stop truns on ok after wards sometimes will wanna shut off but after giving it gas stays on and run good untill coming to a stop again

Dobermans

Reaction score
Maybe cleaning your mass air sensor will help. I’m not sure if it will just throwing a suggestion out there.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a 2000 ford expedition ran good when I check it out on my way home the truck shut off on me a couple time only when stoping or coming to a stop there is a whistle sound conning from engine bay no engine light but abs is on idles good and stays running only shuts off when coming to a complet stop truns on ok after wards sometimes will wanna shut off but after giving it gas stays on and run good untill coming to a stop again

The inside of the throttle body is dirty - clean it with throttle body spray cleaner (not carburetor cleaner, which can damage the oxygen sensors).

When you stop and engine returns to idle, a dirty throttle body (including the edge of the butterfly valve) with not permit enough airflow past the blade - thus the stalling.

The whistle sound is probably vacuum leak. Check each vacuum line to see it it is sound, and connected at the end. Common leak points are the end of the vacuum lines, which tend to split, and plastic vacuum connectors - which tend to crack or crumble.

OP
OP

2000eddibour

Reaction score
Have clean Throttle body but still having the same issues where it shuts off when loosing rpm

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have clean Throttle body but still having the same issues where it shuts off when loosing rpm

If you still have the whistle sound in the engine compartment, you have a vacuum leak - which can cause a lean condition and stalling.

Capn Don

Reaction score
Based on my experience as an automotive and truck tech back in the days before OBD, I agree with the vacuum leak theory. Since you also have an ABS light and it happens when you stop (foot on the brake), I would suspect a leak in the vacuum brake booster. A simple check would be to remove the vacuum line to the brake booster, plug it, then go for a SLOW SPEED test drive. I say slow speed because you will not have power brakes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65