Slight Acceleration Shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmmm, interesting.

My '97 does the same thing. In 2 high. Haven't noticed it in any of the 4wd settings, I will have to test that.

Might be something with the magnetic clutch not fully disengaging for some reason. Have you unplugged the fuse for the tcase to see if that changes anything? I know that the tcase has a center axle disconnect but I am not 100% sure how it works.

OP
OP
Mediamonkey11

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It happened to my 02 also...I changed the transmission fluid and add in friction modifier

Dr. Tranny 19610 Instant Shudder Fixx Friction Modifier

It has been 3000 miles and the shudder hasn't been back.

Chances are our torque converter is going bad...but the modifier buys some time before we replace or rebuilt the tranny.

Doesn't hurt to try that $7 fix.

So did this happen to you only on initial acceleration (between 5-8ish mph) as well?

My trans fluid was really good looking when I changed it leading me to believe a trans problem just isn't as feasible as if it weren't taken care of... I really hope this isn't a trans problem!